Author Topic: Late Season hauling-Winter Projects  (Read 10262 times)

Sea Haven

Late Season hauling-Winter Projects
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
Hauled yesterday after a fun 1-1/2 trip with 2-4 seas in very short periods just forward of the beam. Can you say roll, pitch and yaw? 15-20kt winds with gusts to 25+, and temp's here on Long Island north shore in the upper 20's F. Unfortunately the Atomic 4 was only running on 3 cylinders which made it..."clenching" while transiting Mount Sinai Harbor's inlet into the wind and waves lol. Boy did that fishing pier look scarier and closer than normal! 5nm at 3.3 kts...not fun. But she did it!All's well that ends well I always say!! Love this boat!
Now with the off season I have to:
1-Find out why 60psi compression on cylinder # 3, suspect stuck valve as others are well within spec.
2-Exhaust Leak on the Exhaust Hot-section, replace.
3-Why can't I get above 2K RPM? I'd say #1 has the most to do with it, but the original "Exhaust Hot-section" may be blocked as well.
4-Replacing the Stuffing box with the PSS
5-Mast is stepped so....
 5a-New Mast Step is in order
 5b-New 3db Antenna (none exists)
 5c-New Masthead/Anchor/Spreader lights (All LED) Currently all not working.
 5d-New Raymarine Wireless (Formally TackTick) installation.
 5e-Replace broken Windex
 5f-Bird-X to keep the Cormorants off!!
6-New Batteries: Sealed AGM
7-Blue Sea Sytems Single Switch w/Isolater

This is the short list, a host of other items as well!

I'll be reaching out to those of you who successfully sailed similar seas for help!

"Sub" Ed

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
  • State: NY
Re: Late Season hauling-Winter Projects
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »
Hey Ed:
Sounds like you have your list like we all do for the winter or early Spring.  Let me know how those wireless instruments work.  The guys at Defender and at the West Marine in Stamford, CT both steered me away from them.  Ended up going with the traditional st-60's and thru-hull/mast head transducers but the wireless is a good idea if they work reliably.  Many of us have done the mast step deal and its a good time to rewire the mast and take a serious look at spreaders.
Good luck this winter,
Dennis

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
While you're working on your mast wiring you might consider the thick RG-8U cable. It's pricy but does increase signal strength.

Run it from the masthead down to the bottom grommet and install a male connector there with about a foot of pigtail from the mast. Then you can use a double female junction to join the cable to another that comes from your radio.

This junction right with the mast wiring terminal strip ensures an easy disconnect when unstepping the mast. You never know when you may have a yard unstep your mast without you there to supervise. My friend's P 28 had a bad experience when a yard chopped all the mast wiring removing the mast. They offered to fix it by using blue butt connectors in the bilge...

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »

Here's a great Winter project.

This fits right behind my Nav Station backrest. It has little rubber feet to keep it from wandering.

When it's really rough we put it on one of the side spots.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
My nav station backrest folds down to reveal a booze locker.  I think it was a standard feature.

BTW: the nav station has a lot of unused space behind the nav station mold.  I cut a door opening near the bottom of the nav station mold, built a plywood deck.  Can hold a case of wine and other stuff

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:56:03 PM »
A p323 opposite me a while ago had an interesting mod.  The entire chart table was hinged, revealing the locker below.  Clearly the pencil rack had to be removed..it was amazing how much space was opened up, the owner used it as his primary food store while cruising. It was also set up with a spring which held the table open; bent in the middle, it collapsed, allowing the table to return to its original position.

Same boat also moved the shower sump forwards, under the deck; it's amazing how much space that opened up!

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »
I didn't know that! sailors are ingenious

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
I love that area below the chart table.  I am  taking the boat south in the next two weeks to take her out.  Looks like that might be another project besides the cutless bearing.  Just hope the shaft is not in bad shape.  The list is endless.  Not enough hours in the day or money in the bank to do what I want to do.  I guess winter is on... 

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
I LOVE that nav station "PopTop"!!!!

I was thinking of a way to do that in a "Stealth Mode" with the screw heads that attached it cut and bonded to the table's storage inset. That way valuables could be hidden from theft. I've seen holes cut into the face for chart storage, but never a hinged insert! I'm also going to look at moving my shower sump forward. That's also a great idea.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:09:21 PM by Alma »