Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Standing & Running Rigging / Re: Original mast finish
« Last post by Alma on December 15, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »
Years ago I had an expert paint my boom. I was able to take it to his auto restoration shop. He used automotive paint. It still looks good but corrosion is around every fastener. The mast is another story. I decided to strip the mast and leave it 'natural'. I couldn't be happier. A nice black boom covered with a sail cover and the exposed mast with its natural patina. There is no corrosion on the bare mast. I cut clothes detergent bottles to make gaskets where ever stainless hardware could cause galvanic corrosion.
« Last post by Dolce_Vita on December 15, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
Except for a few scratches where the whisker pole got away from us, its still in perfect shape.  I took great pains to coat each and every screw I put into it with TefGel to avoid SS/Aluminum corrosion, and so far it seems to be working.  I always get comments on how good it looks.
« Last post by SeaFever on December 14, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »
Hey Ed,

How is the mast looking now - a few years after painting it?  I am getting ready to pull the stick but don't know whether paint is in the budget yet.  Since my paint is so far gone I am considering just removing what is left and go without.
P30 General Discussion / Re: P30
« Last post by admin on December 12, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »
I have a P323 but there is a P30 a few slips down that looks like it has been abandoned for years.  Apparently they still pay slip rent.  I can provide contact information if anyone is looking for a project 30 footer in eastern NC - email me.
General Discussion / Ice Box for 28-2
« Last post by Kevinsant on December 11, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
Hello - just purchased a 28-2 and it has a chart desk with a spot to pull up a chair vs an icebox concealed under the desk.....any thoughts on getting an old icebox setup and covering this?
General Discussion / Salon Bulkheads
« Last post by oceanbrew on December 11, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
The two bulkheads both port and starboard aft of the salon, have rot right (my finger went right through) above where the settees meet the bulkhead. My understanding is that these bulkheads are only semi-structural in nature. They look like they can be removed and replaced. Has anyone done this? If so where are the points of attachment to rest of boat? And, if not...Get Rot my only option?
P30 General Discussion / P30
« Last post by Ray Mitchell on December 10, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
Hi I just joined the forum.  I picked up a P30 two years ago in need of some TL$.  Finished the rebuild of the A4 and now I'm rewiring along with an awful lot else.  Just curious if there any other P30 owners out there?
Steering, Rudder, Hull / Rudder removal
« Last post by Eddy on December 09, 2017, 06:25:40 AM »
Has anyone removed their rudder? I have play in the pintle/gudgeon. Boat is on the hard for the winter. I've had the bottom stripped of paint and letting it dry until spring. Thanks
General Discussion / Re: Looking for a used 95% Jib
« Last post by selene on December 08, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
Hi Michael,

I share your dislike of reefed/part rolled jibs. Hate them. Bad shape, bad airflow, I my stress matches the stress on the forestay. Ugh.

In your post, by clear, if you mean can it be put inside the shrouds? If so, no. Grr.  I was looking for a high-cut foot, my rationale being that I would be heeled over, and the extra visibility would be nice.  But it stays outside the shrouds. I would love to find a 95% "decksweeper" which could go inside the shrouds, to experiment, and get me to point a little bit higher; I have not yet done the calculations to see if it would work (and with our shallow draft, how much it would help!).

Maybe some hard data would help. My principal jib is 100% (37.5', 34.33', 15.25' luff leech foot).  I use this jib most of the time, as the sailplan works well 10kn-20kn. At 20kn (if I am too lazy to use the blade) I am overpowered uphill, and just let the main luff - as you will have noted, the P323 sails surprisingly well on jib alone, little/no pointing impact.

My blade is 87% (37,' 31', 14.75'). 7.4oz cloth.

I am always learning, and so would welcome feedback from anybody!
Introductions / Re: 323 survey checklist
« Last post by Dolce_Vita on December 07, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
Welcome Sailingirl,

Off the top, I agree with everything Michael M said.  That being said, you should at least look for the following:
  • Check the prop shaft for any side-to-side play at the strut
  • Check the rudder shaft for any side-to-side play
  • In the cockpit, check the wheel for "slop" or "deadband". If there's too much, examine the steering gear, through the access panel in the floor of the cockpit, for stretched cable or worn axles in the two turning blocks.
  • If you have access to a pinless moisture meter, check around the base of every stanchion and chainplate, and at the foot of the braces around the lifeline gates.
  • Inside the cabin, remove the access panels and check for rust staining or watermarks around each of the 6 shroud chainplates. There have been several catastrophic chainplate failures reported.
  • Look for rust staining weeping from any of the rig fasteners just above the turnbuckles.
  • In the cabin, examine the condition of the mast step, and the butt of the mast, for excessive corrosion.  Pearson originally built these with a mild steel step in contact with an aluminum mast in a damp bilge.  A formula for corrosion, and a known design defect that many owners have had to address.
  • Check that all the seacocks operate easily and smoothly.

These are just some of the big things off the top of my head.  There are lots more that are less critical, but still important, such as mold/mildew and odor, hatch and port leaks, condition of sails, soft spots or delaminations on the deck, etc.

The engine is another big thing, but I'm not familiar with diesels as I have an Atomic 4, so I'll let others chime in there.

Because the 323 is a solid uncored hull, with internal ballast, there have been few reports of hull or keel problems.  But do keep an eye out for blisters or paint adhesion problems.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10