Author Topic: Lifeline Stanchions  (Read 6568 times)

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Lifeline Stanchions
« on: November 23, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
I am looking for a 24" SS Lifeline Stanchion if anyone has any used ones they might part with. I have found several sources for stanchions but they seem quite expensive for a 24" piece of stainless!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:12:36 PM by SeaFever »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
Re: Lifeline Stanchions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »
After looking at various sources for stanchions I could not find a match for the Pearson.  As it turned out I took it to our local marine welder (well respected in the area), and he repaired it $60.  (it had a bend near the base when I got the boat).

Now or Never!

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Now or Never!
  • City: Brunswick
  • State: GA
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:48:15 PM »
It has been my experience that the word "marine" preceding any other word automatically doubles or triples the price.  Better to take the part to a machine shop that does not "specialize" in marine fabrication.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »
Normally I would agree but in this case the guy took a piece that I thought was ready for the recycle bin and made it like a new part from Pearson Yachts, for a reasonable price.  As it turned out he is a lifelong sailor with plenty of local references for metal fabrication -- many say a rare find. I would recommend Fred of Lindow Marine in Beaufort, NC if you have the need.

Of course with any custom work you have to consider how many labor hours a project will take.  His proposal for a matching anchor roller was a bit too expensive for my budget as the polishing can take days of hand work.  I don't understand why Pearson did not put a second anchor roller on the port side!