Author Topic: Fresh Water Cooling HX Location  (Read 6855 times)

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Fresh Water Cooling HX Location
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:04:11 PM »
Since we now have a freshly rebuilt engine in Dolce Vita, I'm in the process of converting to fresh Water Cooling.

I'm curious as to where other P-323 owners have mounted their heat exchangers. 
Pictures would be very helpful!

I have the "upside-down L" style of heat exchanger.  My current plan is to install a plank
between the two upright frames ahead of the fuel tank, and mount the HX on it,
with its fill cap (on the short arm of the "L")  protruding through the perf board
and into the starbord sail locker for easy access.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Fresh Water Cooling HX Location
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »
I put blue construction foam on the bulkhead where the valves for the fresh water live. The icebox is right behind this. Then I cut out the foam and inlayed a piece of plywood to accept the mounting angle iron from the heat exchanger. Once everything was checked for fit I installed a thin sheet of mirror aluminum sheet to reflect the engine room heat away from the icebox. Now my heat exchanger is very accessible and my ice lasts 3 times longer. I found that when I installed a new BALMAR alternator it's cooling fan created such a wind in the engine compartment the engine heat is now greater than before. All that wind blowing on the engine heats up the engine compartment more than it used to. I have the Atomic ventilation hose routed right to the alternator to try and supply cooler air to the windings.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Fresh Water Cooling HX Location
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:32:57 PM »
I had considered the bulkhead where the fresh water valves are, but dismissed it because of its proximity to the icebox.  I already have enough problems with inadequite insulation on that box, and saw no point in bringing more heat close to it.

The location I ultimately chose, on a new bulkhead ahead of the fuel tank, alowed me to protrude the fill cap portion through the perf board in the forward part of the starboard sail locker for easy access wirhout obstructing the locker opening.  It's also close to the exhaust stack, keeping all the hot stuff in one area, and minimizing the length of hose runs.

I had planned (and still do!) to put extra insulation on the bulkhead where the water valves are, but I was warned to be sure to use something non-flammible.  I believe ABYC requires/recommends this, and it's just a good safety precaution anyway.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4