Author Topic: Roler furling headsail  (Read 5712 times)

Coppifan

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: West River, MD
Roler furling headsail
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »
At times, when I pull on the furling line to bring the sail back in, it doesn't completely roll up the sail. The roller furler drum at the deck literally runs out of line. I tug, but it can't turn anymore to continue wrapping the last two or three feet of sail.

Thoughts please. Does the line need to be longer?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:36:24 AM by SeaFever »

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Roler furling headsail
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »
You may need a longer line; it depends on how much you have left on the cleat when unfurled.

Personally, I would first furl the sail completely by hand, manually turning roller furler so the jib sheets have 1-2 wraps around the sail, while ignoring the furling line.

Then I would pull the furling line out of the drum at the base of the roller furler (from what you have described, it will probably have wrapped the wrong way a couple of turns) and then re-run the line as normal.  You should now have a tightly and correctly rolled sail, and correctly run furling line.

(By the way, while you are doing this, spend a few minutes to check the furling line follows a clean line, and the fairleads and blocks are secure and in good condition)

Now manually unroll the jib.  As you do so the furling line will coil around the drum (it will help to have somebody keep light tension on the line at this time). 

When the jib is unrolled, look at the line.  You should have enough to cleat it off, with a 1 to 2' tail.  If not, your line is probably too short.

Now go to the roller furler, and check the line is not pushing against the "cage" of the drum.  It should fit comfortably inside.  If it is, you may have too large a headsail, or too thick line - or both!

Hoping this helps....

BTW, if you have a Schaeffer 1100 furler (like many of us) the installation instructions can be found here: http://www.furling.com/JibFurlingInstallationInstructions.pdf