Author Topic: Icebox insulation  (Read 6158 times)

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Icebox insulation
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:44:20 PM »
We found significant gaps in the framework of our icebox at the top all around the perimeter. I was able reach into the ice box and put a couple of fingers through the hole in the left rear of it - and be able to see them from the engine compartment. Needless to say we hope that this was an oversight during construction of our boat - and that there is actually some insulation in it.

As a fix we took foam pipe insulation, both 1/2" and 3/4", and pressed it into the gap around the perimeter of the box at the top. It seems to work quite well.

Has anyone done any work to determine the scope of the insulation installed, and/or have rework experience with the p323 ice box?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:45:34 PM by SeaFever »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

finn

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sea Quell
  • City: Point Roberts
  • State: WA
Re: Icebox insulation
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
I,too found gaps around the top perimeter of the icebox.I used rtv silicone to fill these.It's helped some.The best solution I found was freezing two 5 gallon containers of water at home in my freezer,they sit nicely at the bottom of the box,food on top and an insulating cover on top of food.I use and ordinary foil-type automobile front window suncover cut to fit the icebox.In addition I try to keep a thin wool blanket cut to fit over the icebox cover.
I've used this system to great success for the last 3 years.This summer I took a 18 day trip and never had to add ice!Of course I also froze any food I could,steaks,milk etc as well.It's convinced me not to go ahead with adding re-fridgeration as I had previously planned.
So if you have room in your freezer,this might be a solution for you,cheap with the added benefit of no water collecting in the icebox and having 10 gallons of water
contained for emergencies also.