Poll

What location is your transmission cable attached to?

Very top?
0 (0%)
Middle?
1 (100%)
Bottom?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Atomic four transmission cable location  (Read 5883 times)

fiatracer163

• P323
  • P323 Maven
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: Milwaukee, WI
Atomic four transmission cable location
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
There is a video on YouTube where someone is explaining how to adjust an Atomic Four transmission on a 323, and I noticed that their transmission cable was attached to the bottom location of the arm. Mine is in the middle and I have always had a weak reverse. Next time I'm down at the boat, I'm going to swap it to the bottom and see what happens. Let me know if I'm the only one with it in that location or if you also have it in the middle.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Atomic four transmission cable location
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
You do realize you must "hold" the transmission in reverse right? It is fine to change the location of the shift cable to get more leverage. Just make sure it still has the travel it needs to hit it's stop. There is no click.

fiatracer163

• P323
  • P323 Maven
    • View Profile
  • City: Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
I have much better engagement in reverse after lowering the cable on the trans. I was aware that the reverse was friction based, so that wasn't the issue.

Now that I have reverse again, can anyone give me some pointers on getting the 323 to steer where you want in reverse? I can turn in circles to starboard, but can't get it to steer to port even if full over. I only had a few minutes to experiment so I'm sure it will get better with more practice. I do have a port side dock, and I do need to reverse to port to exit my slip so any advice is appreciated.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 03:40:31 PM »
I don't have the A4, but to get out of my slip I invariable use the manual shift.

I get of the boat, leave the engine in neutral, and manually shift the boat backwards, then leap back when the stern is into the fairway, and when I then engage reverse, I have have some steerage the propwalk isn't too big a deal.

Can be exciting if the wind comes from the wrong direction though.....

;D

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »
My 323 #74 BACKS TO PORT. Generally when I want to get into my slip in reverse I put the wheel hard over to starboard (in forward) and let her back to port. When I run out of room on the port side I give her a burst of forward (wheel is still hard over to starboard) so she straightens out without much forward movement. It is possible your 323 with A4 backs to starboard... If so just switch these directions to suit.