Author Topic: New halyard chafing against spreader  (Read 9121 times)

jwspeck

• P323
  • P323 New Owner (Apr 2014)
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Lucky Mud
  • City: San Francisco
  • State: CA
New halyard chafing against spreader
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:47:54 AM »
Hi all,

So I recently swapped out the 35 year old mainsail wire-hybrid halyard line for a new all braid line.

On this P323, the winch for the mainsail is at the base of the mast.

When raising the mainsail now, there appears to be considerably more friction. I also noted when using the winch, the mainsail halyard rubs the spreader... which wasn't an issue with the wire halyard, but now appears to be a very bad thing with an all braided line. Heck, it even looks like there was a small semi-circle cutout in the spreader for the old wire hybrid halyard.

So what to do? I definitely don't want to go back to a wire spliced halyard.

Do I go all the way to re-rigging the mainsail halyard with a fairlead so that it pulls away from the mast and spreader?

Thanks for any and all advice! I can try to take pictures tomorrow.

- John Speck

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
Re: New halyard chafing against spreader
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
No advice, but a clarification.  I was also concerned about the "notch" where the spreader meets the mast - concerned because I thought the wire main halyard may have been sawing through the spreader (having just had the jib halyard saw through a fairlead!!).

Turns out the spreader is a hollow aluminium tube (Al spelt correctly - I am Brit).  It connects to a fixture on the mast with a single hinge pin, which allows some forward-aft movement of the spreader.  The notch you see is actually a gap between the spreader and the mast connection.  Wiggle the upper shroud and you'll see the movement.

Like you, my wire often fits in or close to the gap, and has rubbed off most of my nice black paint.  Like you, I am also looking at an all-braid line, so it'll be interesting to hear what others say.

Paul

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
I know this sounds like a silly question, but do you have your halyards led to the correct winches?

The main halyard goes up the back side of the mast and comes down the front.  Since the winches all wind clockwise, it should be led to the stbd winch, which will keep the line toward the front of the mast.  Similarly for the jib halyard, with the sides reversed

Although it will work with the winches reversed, it would cause the halyards to drag over the spreaders.

But more likely, your source of chafe is the wind causing the halyards to oscillate and bang against the spreaders and mast.  My old wire/rope halyards had scraped the mast to an ugly mess, and chewed up the edges of the spreaders.  When I rebuilt the mast, I had to have the spreaders repaired and had everything repainted with Awlgrip. I also went to all-rope halyards.  When not sailing, I tie off both ends of the main halyard to the rail, at the base of two stanchions, to keep it completely away from the mast, avoiding both chafe and that annoying slap.  I also ease off the tension on the furled jib, and move it's halyard from the winch to the rail.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:11:07 PM by Dolce_Vita »
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
Ed,

When you rebuilt your mast, did you use the same size Sheaves and what size line did you end up using for the Halyards? Thanks for the info.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »
Ed,

When you rebuilt your mast, did you use the same size Sheaves and what size line did you end up using for the Halyards? Thanks for the info.

I had new sheaves custom made by Zephyrwerks (http://www.zephyrwerks.com/)

The dimensions were 2.5" x .493" x .375", and I had them grooved for 3/8" line.
Built from Delrin, with bronze bushings.
In quantity 4 they were  $36 each, plus shipping $10 USPS priority.
Well worth it!

I used 3/8" VPC for the halyards and have been very happy with it.  Runs thru the sheaves very freely and does not hockle.  If I release the halyard, the sail falls to the deck.
I can hoist the main all the way by hand, using the winch only for the final tensioning.
Low stretch, flexible, and its cheaper than the hi-tech lines!
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

jwspeck

• P323
  • P323 New Owner (Apr 2014)
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Lucky Mud
  • City: San Francisco
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
Thank you for your help!

As pointed out, the notch my memory thought was there was in fact the spreader join to the mast. Additionally, I was running the main halyard to the PORT winch. Moving the halyard to the Starboard winch pretty much solved the issues. Thanks!

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:36:24 AM »
Thank you for your help!

As pointed out, the notch my memory thought was there was in fact the spreader join to the mast. Additionally, I was running the main halyard to the PORT winch. Moving the halyard to the Starboard winch pretty much solved the issues. Thanks!

Glad I could help!
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4