Author Topic: Propane to alcohol stove conversion  (Read 12881 times)

Dave

• P323
  • P323 hull #376
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
Propane to alcohol stove conversion
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
Our Pearson came with a top of the line Hillebrand propane 3 burner stove with oven. Only problem is I do not like using propane inside a boat. Every couple of years a sailboat explodes and it is always for the same reason, propane leak that builds up in the bilge and then kablooie. For some going to an alcohol stove would be a step down, but that is what I like. There is no danger with a non pressurized stove in a boat.

Used red oak plywood. Copied the dimensions from the stove and buit it so the Origo stove I bought would drop right in.

Stained everything except the area that I planned to install some ceramic tiles.

Installed the stainless steel screws and used a full length hinge for the door. Used two door magnets but will also install a latch so the door does not open in rough seas.

Went to a granite shop and had my tiles cut to size and then used the tile adhesive and finally grouted them on the gaps.

Removed the propane stove and oven and sized the carriage bolts that would need to make the entire cabinet gimble.

Added the stove top. Everything fits like a glove.

One of the reasons I wanted to build the cabinets is because storage space is very valuable on any boat and keeping a propane stove and oven that I would never use was a serious waste of storage space.

Not really a new feature but because I designed the new cabinet to the dimensions of the old stove we are still able to put the counter top back into place when the stove is not being used.

It has been six months since I completed this project and I really like having the propane magma grill on the stern rail and the alcohol stove in the galley.
Dave

adventurer, ex-hippy, good timer, (crook? quite possibly), manic self-publicist, terribly bad at personal relationships, often thought to be completely out to lunch

Sea Haven

Re: Propane to alcohol stove conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »
Sweet mod.

We have the original Hillebrand 3 Burner Alcohol Stove...NEVER used!
As repair parts are iffy, even considered converting it to Kerosene (parts are even more iffy), I have decided to go with the Origo 6000 2 Burner w/Oven.

NO moving parts, washers or nipples to wear out.

Like you I do the heavy cooking on the Grill out on the veranda. I also have a Kenyon Butane Stove I received as a gift that we use to make a quick cup-o-joe.

I had a brief look at this Kerosene stove: Taylor  Model 030L Paraffin Cooker Taylor  Model 030L Paraffin Cooke, but the estimated $4k USD price tag made me make one of those nasally sounds Curly of the Three Stooges makes.

I don't care what any longtime cruisers might say about Alcohol vs kero in price but I highly doubt  I'm going to use $2500 (Price delta of the Origo vs the Taylor) in Alcohol in my lifetime. So it really doesn't make sense. I had Origo non-pressuirized stoves on two of the three boat I previously owned and don not have an issue making meals on board.

Propane...to many moving parts, too many points of failure for my comfort. I'm sure people love it, but "Murphys Law" is a clear and present danger in my life. Also price prohibitive for me to convert to. Anyway, not really preaching against propane, so don't anyone get their heckles up. Like religion it's a personal choice.

Maybe I can sell the current Hillibrand, list it in Craigs List.

BTW, NICE dragonfly hooks!! Where can the be had?

"Sub" Ed
SV SEA HAVEN
Mt Sinai, NY

Dave

• P323
  • P323 hull #376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »
Your set up sounds awesome. Have you baked with the oven yet? I would love your Origo rig. We got the Dragonfly hooks at Lowes.

I took my Hillerbrand to Sailor's Exchange and traded it for a very slightly used Dometic freezer that runs on AC and DC. If you have a really good marine store near you, the Hillerbrands have some value. I think we ended up getting $350 in store credit when my wife was done haggling over the trade items.

We love the Dometic freezer. We have a three hour drive to the boat so we set it it 45 degrees in the car to haul food back and forth. Set it to zero on the boat and use it as a freezer as we have a dorm fridge on the boat.
Dave

adventurer, ex-hippy, good timer, (crook? quite possibly), manic self-publicist, terribly bad at personal relationships, often thought to be completely out to lunch

Sea Haven

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »
Wow, three hour ride!  :o

You sir, are a dedicated sailor!! Love it!! lol

Actually, we didn't get the oven yet, plan to in March. I live a ferry ride away (Actually I could take my boat if it was in!) from Defender in Connecticut.
I plan to hit their yearly Warehouse sale this March and get it then, along with another $1.5k worth of "stuff" lol.

Then I'll pull the Hillebrand Alcohol stove and put the new Origo in.

I'll post installation pics.

First thing in the oven (Admirals promise) is this:

But I would be just as happy with:

"Sub" Ed

KFitz

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P32
  • Vessel Name: North Wind
  • City: Mystic
  • State: CT
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »
Nice job! Your mod looks great and provides much needed galley storage.

rkfitz

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Mystic
  • State: CT
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »
Hey Sea Haven, I'll buy that alcohol stove!