Author Topic: Haul out  (Read 6156 times)

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
Haul out
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:05:04 PM »
Going to take the boat out in the next few days and I dont know what I need to drain so it dosent freeze. Engine,water tanks,AC,toilet and holding tank.  How do I know when these are empty?   Or if I can hook up to 110 and put in some heat rods.  What would be the best thing to do?

Sea Haven

Re: Haul out
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »
Go to Walmart or whatever, and get a case or two of Pink Antifreeze. WestMarine has it too.
Pump the Fresh water tanks dry, then add a gallon or so of A/F to each tank and run the FW pump so BOTH hot and cold lines in the Head AND Galley run pink.
I also drain the water heater.
If you haven't pumped your Sanitary tank dry, do so before hauling, then pump a gallon or so of A/F through the head.

Diesel or A4 Engine?

Plenty of Data online how to winterize either, but consist's at least of the following

Winterizing the engine usually requires running till hot, changing the oil. I do the oil it as I'm actually being lifted, engine is still hot from the trip to the Yard from my mooring.
After she's on stands, I disconnect the RAW Water hose from the inlet, place it in a 5 gallon bucket filled with fresh water, I have a f/w hose with an on/off valve close by to keep it full as the water is emptied by the engine running, then:
1-Start the Engine
2-Add "Salt Away" to the bucket to remove scale in the engine, maybe a cup added.
3-Continuously run until the exhaust runs clear. (Keep adding water to the bucket with the F/W hose!!)
4-Stop Engine, Drain Bucket
5-Fill Bucket with Pink Antifreeze.
6-Start engine and drain bucket.
7-Add Antifreeze until a solid pink exits from the exhaust.

The goal is to have the water in the cooling system COMPLETELY replaced with antifreeze.

Again, if you don't have the manuals, look up online for your particular engine.

I've developed a comprehensive Decommissioning list for the 323 with the A4 Engine with Data from the Manuals and long term experience here:

Decommissioning Checklist

Again, this is how I do it, others may differ. As always:
Disclaimer:
ALWAYS check the documentation that comes with the equipment you purchase for installations, minimum wire Gauges, etc. Following any advice here is done entirely at your own risk, with no liability to this site, the site owner, or to the poster of that information.

"Sub" Ed

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:31:14 AM by Sea Haven »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »
Great advice from "sub" Ed.  Just a couple of things to add.

First one is that, although the pink anti-freeze is non-toxic and can be used in potable water systems, it tastes TERRIBLE, and it seems like you can never get the taste fully out.  I use a slightly different system (credit to Peggy Hall, the "Head Mistress").  Pump the tanks dry.  Then, put a bottle of the cheapest vodka you can find into each tank and pump each dry in turn.  Be sure to use both your pressure-water pump AND your manual pump, and don't forget the vanity and shower in the head.  The idea is to get the vodka into all the lines and pumps.  The alchohol in it will keep it from freezing, and tasts MUCH better than the pink stuff! :D  Plus, it flushes out pretty quickly in the spring.

The other tidbit is about capacity.  I have a FWC system, so my engine is already full of anti-freeze.  I only have to do the raw water loop.  I've found that one gal of pink anti-freeze iis more than enough for my raw water loop.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Sea Haven

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »
Wow, Vodka!!

I don't drink so that never occurred to me!! lol

What an epiphany!!

Yeah, raw water cooling here!  :-\

Also, one other spot too, I have a pump for the Chill Box drain into the Galley sink, took a while to figure out what that hand puimp was for when I first got the boat! I ran it through there as well.

"Sub" Ed