Author Topic: Checkin Oil on MD11-C  (Read 5647 times)

Sweet Pea

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
  • City: Bayfield
  • State: WI
Checkin Oil on MD11-C
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »
Has anybody modified their dipstick to make it easier to check the oil on your Volvo MD11-C? I can barely reach the dipstick from down in the starboard locker and with the plumbing from the water heater I can't get it out without fear of dropping it in the bilge! How do you experienced guys do it? I'm new to the boat so any suggestions would be appreciated.

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
Re: Checkin Oil on MD11-C
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
Try checking your oil from inside the cabin. Remove the ladder and then the Starboard engine access cover. You should be able to reach the stick pretty easy from there.  You might need a flashlight to help you locate it the first time you try it.  I change my oil from here as well. Works for me. Good Luck

Sweet Pea

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
  • City: Bayfield
  • State: WI
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »
Thanks for the answer. I did find it with a flashlight. It's a tight squeeze for my arm to get to it but I got it! Thanks again!

My Cyn

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: My Cyn
  • City: Alameda
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »
I agree it is a tight squeeze from starboard locker, but that's how I do it. I have to take my wrist watch off first just to fit my arm in, and I take my wedding ring off for safe keeping. Consider turning the air intakes slightly to gain every fraction of an inch you can. As I remove the dipstick, I end up turning it like a baton on my hand to get it out.

I also have a small work light with a spring clip that l strategically position to provide light.

Regards,

Bill