Author Topic: HIN Problems  (Read 12437 times)

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
  • State: NY
HIN Problems
« on: July 30, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
I was re-registering my boat in NY last week and the DMV (ugh) clerk told me my HIN was wrong and asked me to get a picture or etching of it.  The number on it is:
PEA = Pearson
58 = Model (323)
148 = (hull number)
M78 = Model Year (1978)
H = Build month (March)
The problem is that after all that follows "-P".  Does anyone know what -P (dash P) means and do other 323's have that.  The DMV's problem is that their system is only set up to accept a 12 digit hull number and the dash P doesn't fit.  Any ideas?

Sea Haven

Re: HIN Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
I have the same "-P" on Sea Haven, Hull No. 124.

However, when I registered her after the sale last month, I was lucky enough to have a transferable  NY Registration (no title) from the previous owner and I used the HIN minus the "-P" on all the paperwork. Flew right through our DMV.

FWIW, first thing I do when I boat shop, I record the HIN and do what research I can before I go much further. Decoding it, Googling etc. and insuring I won't have DMV issues. When I was shopping and looked at hull no 244 located on the North fork of Long Island, I noticed she DOESN'T have the "-P". But I ended up purchasing 124 with the "-P" and like I said that wasn't on ANY documentation.

I would suggest dropping the "-P" on the paperwork and try again.

BTW, I'm in Mt. Sinai Harbor on the North shore of Long Island. Hull no 244 much to my astonishment was purchased as well and sits in the harbor not far from me. Plus, the son of owner of the Marina who manages my mooring has a 323 he's getting ready for the water as well. Soon, 3 323's will be in the same harbor. Looking to start a local users group. Are you in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area?

"Sub" Ed
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:25:44 PM by Sea Haven »

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »
Ed:
Thanks for the reply.  I sure would like to know what the dash P stands for tho.  I'll take your advice in the meantime and drop the P.

We are across the Sound from you in Mamaroneck, NY (East basin) at the Orienta Yacht Club between McMichaels Yard and Derekter.  Yeah, it might be fun to have a local group.  Stay in touch.
Thanks again,
Dennis

Sea Haven

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Awwwwwright!

More local Pearson owners! I enjoy the west end of the Sound and even prefer urban sailing. A personal favorite is the Worlds Fair Marina at Flushing Meadows. Get to and see my team play at CitiField and then spend the night aboard!

Will keep in touch especially when heading your way.

"Sub" Ed

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
FWIW, mine does not have a -p.  PEA58212M80A.

I guess you guys are special :-)

Possibly dropped from later hulls, as in this thread it appears 212 (mine) and 244 don't have it, but 124 and 148 do. I wonder if there were any slight variants made earlier models?  I'd settle for the -p standing for "Pride" or "Prestige".

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »
Selene:
Good observation on the earlier vs later models.  I suspect the P could indicate made in Portsmouth vs somewhere else (Bristol maybe?).  Regardless, I have learned that the "-P" on my HIN is not part of the HIN.  It falls under the heading of additional information, that if it is within 2 inches of the 12 continuous digits on the HIN, it must be separated by brackets, a dash, or another type of label so as not to confuse.  Obviously that confusion elimination thing didn't work out too well. I now know more about HIN's than I really intended to.   

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
FWIW, mine does not have a -p.  PEA58212M80A.

I guess you guys are special :-)

Possibly dropped from later hulls, as in this thread it appears 212 (mine) and 244 don't have it, but 124 and 148 do. I wonder if there were any slight variants made earlier models?  I'd settle for the -p standing for "Pride" or "Prestige".

Mine is PEA58042M77E  (model year 1977, built in Dec 1976), so it's an early model with no "-P"

In our original boat hunting, we looked at hulls 340 (1982) and 18 (1977) and neither of them had the "-P"
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 02:00:37 PM »
I don't know what the -P stands for... but thanks to the messages in this thread I was able to add two more hull numbers from Long Island Sound to the owners database.  We are up to 261 boats accounted for! Quite an amazing number of vintage Pearson boats still on the water.

I am a P323 owner in CT but my boat is still in NC. Perhaps someone will start another forum topic for sailing in Long Island Sound waters.  If things work out well I will try and bring my boat up to Long Island Sound for 2014.
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »
I've heard through the years how Pearson HINs are whacked. My boat has PEA xxxx ending in 77 yet I learned the boat is a 78!

Nothing worse than NJ DMV. The proof is a handsomely paid policeman in every office.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »
The apparent year discrepancy - 77 vs 78 - is very common.  I remember looking into it once, but am a bit hazy with the details, but generally there are a couple of scenarios: the hull could be laid down in 1977, but delivered/splash down in 78; in some cases there were minor changes made, so mine is a "1980" model, actually build/delivered  in late '79. 

Rather like cars where the 2014 models are available now...

So there is generally a method in the madness - what the method is, however, is not always readily apparent!