Author Topic: Whisker Pole!  (Read 6347 times)

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
Whisker Pole!
« on: July 24, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
I've got a whisker pole on board. i've read a little about it, watched a few youtube how-to videos about it, and talked to the previous owner about it. my impression is that it seems like a useful but possibly tricky tool to use when running. how does the boat handle with the genoa out like that? any insight is appreciated. thank you in advance.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Whisker Pole!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »
The tricky thing about your question is that often boats have slightly different setups, making things easier or more difficult, so you mileage may vary....

I use my pole regularly. Took a little practice, and I am still refining my technique, but it can make a huge difference both to comfort and performance.  For example, last night I was racing a Catalina 320, poled out and pulled far away on the downhill leg - one of the crew I chatted to afterwards said setting the pole made us act like we had pulled out a spinnaker!  On a long downhill leg, I pole the jib to one side, and the main to the other (with a jibe preventer); with that setup I can go wind-on-wing for long periods with minimal effort.

Advantages:  When set up, keeps the foresail in the right spot; more power, no flogging, looks pretty.
Disadvantages: Can be tricky to set when bouncy, or very windy.

Various hints:
- Ideally  needs a minimum of 3 people: One to deploy pole, one to manage jib sheet, one to steer.
- Don't let the pole rub on the shrouds.  That would be bad.  So ensure you leave a gap.
- The pole generally works better when you deploy it "upside down"; clip into the mast bracket by lifting the pole *up* into the ring, not dropping it down from above.  Makes it a lot easier to remove.
- I have a topping lift; find it very useful to help manage things, and makes sure I don't lose the pole while deploying (they are over $1k new!)
- My latest experiment is to install a bridle to the pole; the topping lift connects to a ring, set up in the middle of the pole (two equally-sized wire lines to each end fitting).  A more experienced crew member tells me it makes things a lot easier as you can balance the pole when deploying...makes sense to me as when it is extended there can be a lot of leverage on it.
- FWIW, I used to have the pole mounted on the front of the mast - that worked but was a pain to use, so I now have it clipped to the stanchions with rubber chocks.

I hope this helps....

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
Re: Whisker Pole!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »
Im grateful to you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. this is VERY helpful and i am actually printing it out before i get to the marina tonight so i can refer to it as i try to identify the attachment point, figure out the way the ends hook in to the jib and the mast etc. Thank you again, very much.