Author Topic: Bilge water  (Read 6987 times)

rhpurcell

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Wind and Spirit
  • City: Chicago Monroe Harbor
  • State: IL
Bilge water
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
My bilge pump leaves 1 1/2 inches of water in the bilge.  Is that common and necessary.  A dry bilge or bilge with less water would be better. 

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Bilge water
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »
Very common.  The problem is that the water travels from the bilge pump to a venting loop (often in the engine compartment, which prevents a siphon from sucking water *into* the boat), and then overboard. When the bilge pump runs dry, the column of water between the venting loop and the pump flows back into the bilge.

Yes, it is annoying.

Some people just leave the water down there; personally I (and some other folk I know) sponge it out.  With an encapsulated keel, the P323 keeps a dry bilge, and any water down there is a good indicator that you should check something (or that it has been raining!).

My Cyn

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: My Cyn
  • City: Alameda
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
Hi rhpurcell,

Please clarify whether you are talking about your electric submersible bilge pump, or the manual bilge pump operated from the cockpit.

I found that even a little bit of water in the bilge tends to create a musty smell, so I try to keep the bilge as dry (and clean) as possible.
I am in the habit of using a small hand pump to empty the bilge and the area beneath the engine (water source here is from shaft packing gland) before I leave the boat. I pump into a bucket, then dump over board.

Recently replaced my failed electric submersible bilge pump. The replacement pump came with a flapper-type check valve, however the column of water described in the earlier post leaks back over time. The "tighter" a check valve, the more flow resistance it provides. Something to consider on a bilge pump discharge line, as resistance should be minimised.   

I am always on the lookout for sources of leaks that contribute to filling the bilge, and I think I recently found a new one on my boat: I am in the process of rebuilding the manual bilge pump mounted on the port side cockpit wall.  I removed the suction line at the pump so I could disassemble the pump. I now noticed a lot less water in the bilge. I suspect that a combination of a failed diaphragm inside the pump, and a torn "gaiter" in the cockpit have allowed water spray to leak back into the bilge when I wash down the boat. After disconnecting the discharge line, I eliminated the leak path. 

Regards,

Bill

rhpurcell

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Wind and Spirit
  • City: Chicago Monroe Harbor
  • State: IL
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »
Thanks for your comments.  I was refering to an electric submersible bilge pump.  When I leave the boat I hand pump the balance of the water.  About a gallon or so.  Bob