Author Topic: Propane locker  (Read 11607 times)

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
Propane locker
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
Our boat does not have the optional propane lockers. Can someone who does have this option tell me how it is implemented? Thinking of upgrading the galley to propane and would like to get an idea of what I'd need to do to install lockers. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Now or Never!

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Now or Never!
  • City: Brunswick
  • State: GA
Re: Propane locker
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
Now or Never! has a propane locker installed under the helmsman seat (between the port and starboard lockers/settees).  Propane is the way to go until CNG becomes more available.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »
Wow - I did not realise the propane lockers were optional - they look built in!  I think a retrofit would be very challenging - mine are on port and starboard side, either side of wheel - you probably see them from the line drawings (e.g. http://www.pearson323.com/images/drawing.gif).  The lockers are substantial fiberglass "buckets" containing what appears to be a custom propane tank.  They have a vent in the bottom exiting the transom, and a, inset solid hinged lid, closing flush, which matches the nonskid on the lazarette covers.

I can provide photos/measurements if required, but considering the amount of cutting/fabrication required, I think retrofitting to the original position would be challenging. IMHO Now or Never!'s solution would be the simplest and least expensive to install.

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »
Now or Never! has a propane locker installed under the helmsman seat (between the port and starboard lockers/settees).  Propane is the way to go until CNG becomes more available

I didn't have notification enabled for this topic. Now or Never can you provide me a picture or two of how you have yours setup? I was also thinking that trying to put them in the original location would be a real chore. Thanks in advance.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »
Sea Fever had the propane lockers but did not have tanks when I got it - they are the small 6lb size that are hard to find without paying a premium price for aluminum tanks from Worthington ($150+ each).  Since you have the choice you could go with a bigger and more standard size tank when you convert.

Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:44:14 AM »
Sea Fever, Is the propane locker you have under the helm seat a standard item I could get from a Marine supply store? How much room do you give up behind the helm? I don't have a seat yet. Kind of tight back there do you have any trouble getting around the helm with the seat in place and locker installed? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »
Eddy - The stock propane lockers on Sea Fever are cylindrical chambers in the aft sections of the cockpit lockers on both port and starboard - with access hatches that are integrated into the cockpit seats.  I am not familiar with a helm seat locker - but it sounds like a nice solution, especially if there is room for a larger tank.   
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
Now or Never! has a propane locker installed under the helmsman seat (between the port and starboard lockers/settees).  Propane is the way to go until CNG becomes more available.

Sorry Sea Fever I meant to ask Now or Never! if they had pics of the propane locker under the helm seat. Also, was that something that was custom made or something that can be purchased off the shelf.

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
Here is a picture of my Locker.  It was custom made out of Teak.  It is not a hard job for someone with basic woodworking skills.