Author Topic: New member looking at a Pearson 36-2  (Read 1376 times)

JayS

• View Profile
  • Model: other
New member looking at a Pearson 36-2
« on: February 11, 2023, 09:40:08 PM »
Thanks for the ad! I've been sailing a 27' Ericson for about 10 years. I have sailed 99% of that time solo, and I sail regularly on the Chesapeake. Some overnights when I have time.

I recently sold my Ericson in order to get the next one (I can't own two!). I have been looking at various larger S/Vs in the 32 to 36 foot range.  The boat that grabbed my attention the most so after has been a Pearson 36-2.  I'll add that my wife is much more interested in this vessel and expresses interest in sailing it. But, realistically, I'm sure I'll be solo a lot of the time.

I'd love to hear from other 36-2 owners about your experiences. How do they handle? What would the learning curve to single hand this boat be? Any specific advice?

It's a shoal draft, all lines lead to cockpit. No windlass. 

I'm a determined learner and I'm nearing retirement and see myself spending even more time on the water. Mostly if not exclusively coastal sailing, perhaps poking out to head towards New England and, who knows, maybe the Bahamas and beyond. 

Thanks!  Jay
s/v Mystic
1990 Pearson 36-2
Yanmar 3YM30AE

sgancarz

• P36
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P36
  • Vessel Name: Split Pearsonality
  • City: Racine
  • State: WI
Re: New member looking at a Pearson 36-2
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 02:03:11 PM »
Jay,

Welcome to the group.  I have had my 36-2 since 2018 and sail on Lake Michigan.  I went from a Paceship PY26 to the 36-2.  Was a big jump and took quite some time to get used to the extra 10 feet of length and 3 feet of beam while docking.  I absolutely love the 36-2, as does anyone that comes aboard.

I used to singlehand my PY26 quite a bit, as it was very easy to maneuver with the transom hung, tiller controlled rudder and all lines led aft.  However the rudder placement on the 36-2 is well aft and makes it quite maneuverable as well.  Additionally all of my lines are led aft as well.  The only issue I have with singlehanding the 36-2 is that all winches are forward of the helm, and to move forward, you have to step up on the seat to get around the wheel.  Autopilot is a must!

One thing I had to learn with the 36-2 is how to use spring lines when leaving and returning to the slip.  On my PY26, I had a continuous spring line from the bow to the stern that I could easily jump onto the dock and control both the bow and the stern.  Not going to happen with the 36-2.  At 15,000 lbs displacement, you are not going to be able to just grab a dock line and control the boat.

Overall I am very satisfied with the 36-2 and hope to do some singlehanded racing soon.  I have to get a new below deck autopilot though, as the wheel pilot is at it's upper limits with the 15,000 lb displacement and has problems steering the boat in any type of weather.  Does OK for calm motoring, but would not trust it while doing any sort of distance singlehanded.

I hope this helps. 

Good luck with your search.

Steve
1985 Pearson 36-2  #27
S/V Split Pearsonality

JayS

• View Profile
  • Model: other
Re: New member looking at a Pearson 36-2
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 09:24:43 PM »
Thank you, Steve. Sorry for not responding earlier. I'm used to my old ericson board that sent me a notification when I got a response to a thread I was involved in. Maybe this board does too and I missed it?

I appreciate the advice.  I may ask for more description on the spring line usage for leaving the dock and returning.

I have purchased my 36-2. It sits on the hard right now in Mystic CT. I'll be sailing it down to Hampton VA in late April/early May with an acquaintance who is a legit delivery captain and one other crew. My experience is in the Chesapeake so I'm not keen on doing the trip with less experience on board.

I'm hoping to get a slip in my marina that will allow me to turn to starboard so I can use that back and fill method when the prevailing winds are working against me.  And a slip to port to lay up against, rather than a neighbor's boat lol. 

My 36-2 has autopilot underneath on the quadrant. The only "major" thing I want to work on before leaving on the trip is to sand and paint the bottom and more importantly change the bolts that hold the cables to the quadrant and the bolt that does the same for the autopilot arm. There are rusty and not stainless. I plan on getting up there to meet with the owner to go over the boat's unique characteristics and do some sailing and maneuvering under power. 

Did I mention this boat has a new engine with 4.9 hours on it?  I'm reading up on how to properly break in the engine.  A lot to learn.

Jay
s/v Mystic
1990 Pearson 36-2
Yanmar 3YM30AE