Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Engine and Drive Train / Re: Electric Drive
« Last post by Dolce_Vita on January 13, 2024, 04:10:51 PM »
This could be an interesting thread to follow.

Recently, I acquired a P323 in very good condition for a '78 (or any year for that matter). The Volvo MD11C is. having some problems with overheating, so I've decided to repower her with electric 12KW. Unlike you, howewver, I would like to outfit her with solar panels and a generator for emergency backup. The Volvo starts, runs at idle very well, but overheats with the alarm sounding at about 2500 RPM. It does burn oil.

I haven't pulled the motor yet, and am collecting needed tools get it pulled. With that said. what to do with the V-Drive trans....should I keep it or invest in the Trunderstuck reduction gear. It's winter up here on the Jersey shore and while no snow yet, the temps could be warmer for this job to begin.

The V-Drive is pretty bulletproof.  Ours, on our 1977 P323, has been trouble-free since we bought the boat in 2009.  We've put almost 2000 hours on it since then. And Walter will still support and rebuild them IFF you have the original stamped serial number tag still attached and readable.
Steering System, Hull Structure / Hydrovane self steering system
« Last post by Scott on January 07, 2024, 08:13:06 AM »
Hi, I recently came across a good deal on a nearly new Hydrovane Self steering system and would like to know if any 323 owners have one installed on their boat. If so have you mounted it in line with the keel or is it offset like I see many boat owners have done. According to the folks at Hydrovane mounting the unit off Center will not effect the function or effectiveness of the unit. Thanks, Scott
Engine and Drive Train / Re: Electric Drive
« Last post by #95 on January 04, 2024, 10:34:19 AM »
This could be an interesting thread to follow.

Recently, I acquired a P323 in very good condition for a '78 (or any year for that matter). The Volvo MD11C is. having some problems with overheating, so I've decided to repower her with electric 12KW. Unlike you, howewver, I would like to outfit her with solar panels and a generator for emergency backup. The Volvo starts, runs at idle very well, but overheats with the alarm sounding at about 2500 RPM. It does burn oil.

I haven't pulled the motor yet, and am collecting needed tools get it pulled. With that said. what to do with the V-Drive trans....should I keep it or invest in the Trunderstuck reduction gear. It's winter up here on the Jersey shore and while no snow yet, the temps could be warmer for this job to begin.
General Discussion / Pearson Aero 24
« Last post by captainplumb on December 30, 2023, 12:38:14 PM »
I just purchased a 1962 Pearson Aero 24 that I will be keeping in dry storage in Oxnard, Ca.  It is a very interesting boat and I am excited to do some coastal cruising in it.  Anybody out there know of any other ones in existence?
Steering System, Hull Structure / Re: Pearson 323 Skeg
« Last post by chuck stas on December 30, 2023, 12:09:28 PM »
good luck with it, Have a Great New Year.
« Last post by 323Voyager on December 23, 2023, 06:18:28 PM »
That's great news, thanks to both of you. Its been busy with Christmas coming and all the rain, but I'll take some pics once I start the repair and keep you both in the loop.
Thanks again for the advice!
« Last post by Alma on December 06, 2023, 12:51:32 PM »
No worries. Fix it with thickened West System. I used some lightweight fiberglass cloth and epoxy first to lock up the seams. That may be overkill. There are plenty of tutorials on using epoxy on the West website. Go easy with the grinder- take away only what you need to get to clean fiberglass and don't maul the bronze fasteners- its hard to find good bronze hardware today and the last thing you want to do is use stainless steel replacements. Remember to fill the screw slots with modeling clay so if the bronze parts ever need to come apart the screw slots will still take a screwdriver. Take your time. Photo shows the parts- its a sistership.
« Last post by chuck stas on December 06, 2023, 10:41:22 AM »
Last year my skeg looked the same as yours.
I sanded some, than filled the gap with epoxy faring Than painted .
Just pulled the boat out and it still looks good.
easy project. Good Luck.
Steering System, Hull Structure / Pearson 323 Skeg
« Last post by 323Voyager on December 05, 2023, 05:28:38 PM »
Hi,
   Now that my Pearson 323 is on the hard, I need to address an issue found during the survey. The skeg had a crack forming at the lower gudgeon.
I chipped away all of the loose material and found that it was a really thin layer of some type of filler, and it did not bond with the bronze gudgeon underneath (See pics attached).
So my question is, whats the best way to repair this? Do I just cover with epoxy filler, fair, paint and bottom paint? Or do I use a few layers of glass?
Will do.  I'll post the design specs on the forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10