Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
For Sale and Wanted / Re: 3. P-40 jobs for sale
« Last post by Bird Dog on August 01, 2021, 11:30:47 PM »
Jibs?
For Sale and Wanted / 3. P-40 jobs for sale
« Last post by gowansg on July 30, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
I have 3 jobs that came with my Pearson 40 (hull #7) that did not go with the boat.
  #1 Labled as a Staysail in very good condition  6 oz.  wire luff. $450 #2 is Labled as 155. Also good condition,with luff groove, $450 and #3 10 oz. with old sunfbrella cover and stains. Luff groove.  Useable. $200
 All are North sails.  Pictures available
gowansg@suddenlink.net
P31 / Re: Love my Pearson 31-2 - Anyone have any good modifications to share?
« Last post by ChicagoGeo on July 28, 2021, 08:21:19 PM »
I enjoy owning "Just Add Water" Thank you, Jeff. What a great boat. We need to go out with Bruce before he splits town for Wisconsin.
Ports & Hatches / Re: Another Ports Saga
« Last post by selene on July 27, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
Yes, I am also a big fan of Butyl. And thanks Ed for such a comprehensive report - I am lousy at taking photos, but your record is both interesting and informative! I wish you dry ports for many years to come!
New Member Introductions / Re: new member introduction
« Last post by selene on July 27, 2021, 08:24:40 PM »
Cool story - it is great to have the boat kept "in the family". Enjoy!
New Member Introductions / new member introduction
« Last post by return on July 27, 2021, 04:09:08 PM »
hello, I just bought Pearson 323 hull number 94, and the story is interesting.  My father in law bought the boat new in 1977 and was the sole owner until his health declined in his later years.   He sold it to two Fairhope (AL) yacht club members before his death a few years back.  So my wife and i just bought half of it back, and it floats in the same slip at Fairhope Yacht Club where it has been for so many years.

Lots of work to do but having fun already!

Mike
Ports & Hatches / Re: Another Ports Saga
« Last post by Alma on July 25, 2021, 06:08:47 PM »
They look great Ed! And mine are holding up very well with the Bed-It a few years now.
Ports & Hatches / Re: Another Ports Saga - More Photos
« Last post by Dolce_Vita on July 25, 2021, 12:47:11 AM »
More Photos
Ports & Hatches / Re: Another Ports Saga- More Photos
« Last post by Dolce_Vita on July 25, 2021, 12:41:57 AM »
More Photos.
Ports & Hatches / Re: Another Ports Saga-- Update
« Last post by Dolce_Vita on July 25, 2021, 12:38:34 AM »
Well,  it's been a while since I last posted, but I'm happy to report that the ports are all reassembled and installed! 

The key to reassembly seemed to be stretching the gaskets around the curves, as Libations Too, Selene, and others reported.  This not only made them lay tight areond the corners, but also seemed to thin them out slightly, just enough to make a difference getting them on.  I found I had to stretch them a lot, between 1-1/2 to 2 inches of gasket, to get the effect I needed.

I used a pair of small bar clamps on the ones with straight sides, but had to use a different arrangement on the aft ones which have slanted sides.  There, I used one long clamp lengthwise to set the corner on the inside curve, and a short one to set the straight side.  Both sides of the gasket (window and frame) were set in a bead of Dow Corning 795, so EVERYTHING had to be taped up to avoid too big a mess.  I used gray, figuring it would blend in with the gray gasket, and this worked well.  The only place I switched to black was in the vicinity of the join between the two frame halves in order to avoid a gray line being visible.  This worked well too.  Since I was doing this at home, my wife & daughter helped, and we got all 4 frames reassembled in a single day!

Back at the boat, I bedded the ports with two layers of the gray "Bed-It" buytl tape sold by Compass Marine.  I had enlarged the openings in the cabinsides to allow the frames to fit straight in without having to do any jockying to get them in.  In order to insure that they stayed centered,  I superglued some spacers in the groove in the bottoms of the frames so that they couldn't slide down.  This was necessary because there was only about 1/4" of overlap between the frame and the fiberglass, and if they were allowed to slide down, there would be a gap.  And once again, everything was taped up to avoig a sticky mess with the butyl, which became quite soft and sticky in the 112 degree heat under the cover! (And this was with fans going!)

The last port went in on Wed July 21, and a friend and I took the cover down the next day.

Initial leak testing with a hose showed that all four fixed ports stayed bone dry, but all four of the NFM ports leaked badly!!  I pulled them off and found I had made a systematic error in applying the butyl tape, which was easily corrected.  I can't say enough good things about the butyl.  It made removing the ports a breeze, and I was able to rebed all four in one day!

Just retested them all today and they're all sealed up tight.  Finally!!  It's taken me as long to do this project as it takes to make a baby!  I am well and truly glad its over.

Now, I've got to get the boat hauled and redo the Poli-Glo on the topsides and repaint the bottom.  How much more work could it be?  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10