Author Topic: P323 hatch refurb  (Read 8329 times)

m_boone

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Blue Sky
  • City: Philadelphia
  • State: PA
Re: P323 hatch refurb
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 10:56:02 AM »
We were just out on Dolce Vita this weekend for the first time this season! 

After 8 years since doing our hatches,  they are still leak-free.  The frames still look great, but 8 years of UV exposure has fogged the Lexan with micro crazing.  This is despite using Lexan that had extra  UV and anti-scratch coatings.  I sewed up some covers for them, something I should have done in the beginning.  You might want to do that now to keep them looking crystal clear as long as possible.

Well, you couldn't have planned it better as far as the weather - the last couple of weekends have been great sailing weather. July and early August were sweltering hot and one hour out there was about as much as I could stand.

Thanks for the tip about hatch covers. I need another mast boot cover as well.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: P323 hatch refurb
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 01:00:32 PM »
Great news! They look fantastic and without the holes to mount the clear part should leak far less than original. As far as mounting facing forward we too have an old Garhauler rigid vang so I also reversed the opening side.

It is interesting that the Europeans don't have their forward hatches mounted to catch the wind. Their regulators have found that hatches can be ripped away by seas coming aboard so they require the hatches to face rearward.

Some hatches allow for the lid to be switched from opening forward or aft. They have identical latch dogs on both sides so they can be switched to catch a breeze at anchor.

If you haven't used a "Breeze Booster" you will want to buy one.

It has a rigid batten sewn on the front of the scoop and it can be mounted facing forward, or sideways. It isn't subject to the wind for support like other scoops and that makes it perfect for when in a slip and the breeze is from the beam, or at anchor or motoring when the current moves the boat contrary to the wind.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3103823