Pearson Boats - Common Systems > Ports & Hatches

P323 hatch refurb

(1/4) > >>

m_boone:
Hello all,

I have decided to refurbish the hatches on Blue Sky as Dolce Vita and Alma have described in their posts. After removing the hatches, I noticed that one of the pins on her aft hatch is bent. I believe that these pins are pressed into the the frames. Any ideas about removing and replacing this pin?

rbrtfeld:
If anyone is interested, I have a brand new  white hatch For over the main cabin. I never installed it and would take 400.00 plus shipping cost. You can email me at rbrtfeld@aol.com for pictures if needed

m_boone:

--- Quote from: rbrtfeld on July 21, 2020, 10:31:03 AM ---If anyone is interested, I have a brand new  white hatch For over the main cabin. I never installed it and would take 400.00 plus shipping cost. You can email me at rbrtfeld@aol.com for pictures if needed

--- End quote ---

That's a very good price.

m_boone:
I was poking around the McMaster-Carr website and found that they sell pull-out dowel pins with instructions on how to remove.

https://www.mcmaster.com/pull-out-dowel-pins/

Dolce Vita mentioned this company in several of his posts and I have bought several things from them so far. Great website and customer service/turn-around times. Thanks Ed.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure now that there are no threads on the outside of the pin so I think it should be possible to either pull them using a screw or tap them out with a dowel. I'll have to cut the bent one in order to tap that pin out. Just a little worried about cracking the aluminum trying to remove these pins.

Dolce_Vita:
You are correct.  These pins are simply press fit in.  No threads involved.

Don't mess with a wood dowel.  You'll just get frustrated.  The tool you want is called a "drift" or a "pin punch".  I used it to remove all the pins on my hatches before having them cleaned and powder coated.  Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-762-5-Piece-Roll-Pin/dp/B000OUZBBY

That bent pin looks like the hatch was closed on a line or something.  You will have to cut that one and tap out the pieces afterwards.  Remove the good pin first, as it will be easier to do while things are still together.  Unless, of course, they're both bent, in which case you'll have to cut them both.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version