Author Topic: 2GM20F water  (Read 4103 times)

kenw

• P33
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P33
  • Vessel Name: Veritas
  • City: Punta Gorda
  • State: FL
2GM20F water
« on: July 18, 2020, 08:10:20 AM »
Hi,  I had the clamp on the outlet hose of the impeller fail and the hose fell off.  The clamp was replaced and the impeller housing opened and checked (all looked fine).
But now when I start the engine I can hear water in exhaust but no water is coming out of the exhaust.
This was working fine prior to the hose clamp failure.

Any thoughts on this?

Infinity

• P28
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • Vessel Name: Infinity
  • City: City Island
  • State: NY
Re: 2GM20F water
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 09:56:28 AM »
Good morning,
Please don't take offence at my suggestion, but did you check to make sure that the seacock is open?

kenw

• P33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »
yes, I have also checked water is getting to the impeller when I had the housing open.

Last Resort

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 10:38:19 PM »
you say everything "looks" fine, but until you actually change the impeller for a new one, I suspect then you will find your problem. The only other thing would be a piece of the rubber from the old impeller lodged in the outlet of the pump, but again, you said it all looks fine.  Other than those 2 ideas, the only other ideas would be a loose fan belt or the impeller somehow is no longer turning when the engine is running, and that would mean the shaft key is damaged, or the shaft itself.  Good luck!!!

kenw

• P33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »
I have changed the impeller, no luck.  I suspect the water to water heat exchanger may be clogged, but getting to it is difficult.  Anyone ever open one of these up?     The cabin ladder block direct access to it.

Last Resort

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 11:11:57 AM »
it's easy to be sure the water pump is working...just open up the water filter before the engine and see if it's getting proper water flow from the pump. If so, then you're problem definitely lies on the other side of the filter and could be as you're thinking....somethings plugged!

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 01:22:37 PM »
...  I suspect the water to water heat exchanger may be clogged, but getting to it is difficult.  Anyone ever open one of these up?     The cabin ladder block direct access to it.

The heat exchanger (HX) normally has two round end caps.  These are each held by a single gasketed bolt in the center, and have a ring-shaped rubber seal under them.  Removing both will allow access to the the small tubes of the HX, each of which must be rodded-out with a long, straight wire.  A straightened coathanger works well for this.

This procedure is usually easier if you remove the HX so you can have unrestricred access to the ends.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

kenw

• P33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
Anyone have any experience in getting to the heat exchanger?   On this particular engine (2GM20F) there are 4 studs with nuts holding the housing in place, which are behind the cabin ladder.
 I have not found a way to remove the ladder or anything else for easy access.  2 of the nuts I can feel but not even see.  I rather not remove the whole unit if at all possible.