Author Topic: Blue Sky has launched  (Read 5059 times)

m_boone

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Blue Sky
  • City: Philadelphia
  • State: PA
Blue Sky has launched
« on: June 21, 2020, 05:18:22 PM »
Ahoy fellow sailors,

My wife Sarah and I introduced ourselves on this forum early this year after we purchased Blue Sky - a 1978 323. Blue Sky had been in dry dock on the Chesapeake for the last six years, about 100 miles from our home. Her previous owner kept her in good shape while he was able but she had been left uncovered and alone for more than five years.

Over the winter we got the Universal M25XP engine flushed out, replaced the heat exchanger, hoses, checked the water pump and other things to get her running. Also fixed some of the electrical issues (dead batteries, trickle charger, lighting etc).

We received our Coast Guard registration a few weeks ago, so we are now able to move the boat closer to us on the Delaware. Once I get her closer I will be able to work on her more often and for longer periods of time.

My first priority will be fixing the leaky hatches and any of the core that has been damaged as a result of years of rain water leakage. Here's a picture of the worst of the damage. What do you folks think about this? I've read the hatch rebuild threads on this forum so I partially know what to do but I'm a little concerned about core rot. Anyway, we'll see once we get those hatches out.

Last week Blue Sky was launched after six years and she has dry bilge and all systems (electrical, plumbing, drive train, etc) seem to be working. Well, all of the ones that we checked at that time. : ) Here she is, looking a little worse for wear but wait till you see her next year. She's a beauty and the manager at the marina said she's in fine shape and should be good for another 40 yrs!

If anybody within a two-three hour drive of Philadelphia would like help working on their P323, I would be glad to volunteer for a few weekends. I have very little experience with boats except for some general maintenance and blister repair on our old 27' Catalina. I am reasonably mechanically inclined though and would love to learn more about P323s.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 07:42:18 PM by m_boone »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Blue Sky has launched
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
Congratulations on your new purchase!  She'll give you years of enjoyment.

Where on the Chesapeake are you?  We're located on Rock Creek, off the mouth of the Patapsco River, just outside of Baltimore.

Good news on the overhead cabin hatches.  Unless they've been modified from the original, the cored deck was designed with no coring in the margins of the hatches.  Solid fiberglass, so no opportunity for any leaks to get into the core.

You'll also likely find that most (if not all) of the leaking is along the lens-hatch bedding, not the hatch-deck bedding.
Use Dow Corning 795 to rebed a new Lexan lens WITH NO SCREWS! 

The cabin overhead is composed of 1/4" plywood with vinyl sheet glued onto it.  Cosmetic damage only. The Teak furing strips hold up the ceiling panels.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

m_boone

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 07:29:09 PM »
Wow, we're in Rock Hall just across the bay from you. The Chesapeake must be a fantastic place to sail. It's such a large area with tons of hidden coves and great marinas. We used to sail in the San Francisco bay but the Chesapeake is really something. Maybe we can meet up this summer. I'd love to see some of the things you've done to Dolce Vita.

Thanks for the info about no rotted core due to hatch leak as well describing what's under that white vinyl and how it's attached. I think I may be able to handle this issue myself now. I've read yours and other's posts on hatch and port restoration. Great information. I intend to remove and restore as you and others here have described.   

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:24:42 PM »
I replaced the vinyl on the underside of the coachroof with white formica. If you go that route get the lightweight version that is for cabinet sides not countertops. It is easer to work with and lighter for sailing. Where are you on the Delaware? Good Luck.

m_boone

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 08:26:06 PM »
Thanks for the formica tip. I'll look into that. We plan to moor her in Riverside, New Jersey just north of Philadelphia. We'll keep her there next winter while I work on her and then ultimately move her down around Cape May, where you are, or near Ocean City. That plan is not firm yet as we may discover we like Rock Hall and just put up with the two hour drive.  Ocean City is a quick one hour drive and that makes it a lot easier for us to get down there and back in a day.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 11:15:17 PM »
Wow, we're in Rock Hall just across the bay from you. The Chesapeake must be a fantastic place to sail. It's such a large area with tons of hidden coves and great marinas. We used to sail in the San Francisco bay but the Chesapeake is really something. Maybe we can meet up this summer. I'd love to see some of the things you've done to Dolce Vita.

We’d like that. Swan Creek, just outside of Rock Hall, is a frequent weekend anchorage for us.

You could spend a lifetime cruising on the Chesapeake and not see all of it. This is our 11th year with our 323, and 39th year on the Chesapeake, and we’re still loving it.
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

m_boone

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 04:53:59 PM »
We’d like that. Swan Creek, just outside of Rock Hall, is a frequent weekend anchorage for us.

You could spend a lifetime cruising on the Chesapeake and not see all of it. This is our 11th year with our 323, and 39th year on the Chesapeake, and we’re still loving it.

Blue Sky is in Swan Creek! I'll PM you in a few weeks to see what your schedule is like. We will probably be down there most weekends this summer. Blue Sky needs a little more attention before we take her out but it's not much.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 09:45:07 AM »
We'll be a while too.  We have a lot of work needed, and our marina is still closed to the public.  On top of that, i'm dealing with my wife's recent knee replacement, and a flooded rec-room & basement from a flash storm last tuesday.  (I've never sunk a HOUSE before ;) ! )
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

SailRxSin

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RxSin
  • City: Grapevine
  • State: Tx
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
Congratulations and she looks like a beauty!

Ed, thanks for the information on the hatches, my v-berth has a slight leak and was wondering the best way to start that repair job. 

Sincerely,
Skipper & Cindy
RxSin
Hull 353, 1982 323
Grapevine, TX

m_boone

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 08:06:32 PM »
Congratulations and she looks like a beauty!

Ed, thanks for the information on the hatches, my v-berth has a slight leak and was wondering the best way to start that repair job.

Thanks SailRxSin. Looks like we may be going through similar projects on our boats. I decided to pull the hatches as Ed described. If your aluminum frame is not that bad you could just replace the Lexan and rubber seal assuming your leak is not through the frame and deck. I had a little effort in finding the tinted UV/scatch resistant Lexan. Most suppliers don't carry the UV/Scratch resistant type or want you to buy a 48 X 96" sheet and Lexan is pretty expensive. PM me if you want the name of the supplier that I bought it from.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:18:06 PM by m_boone »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 12:37:30 PM »
FYI, I got my coated Lexan from McMaster-Carr.
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4