Pearson Boats - Common Systems > Mast and Spar Issues

Boom height

(1/2) > >>

T_schlueter:
My boom extends about halfway into the cockpit, is 5ft above the cockpit floor and rubs on my dodger. I'm considering raising my boom about 15" or so. It has 8 screws holding it to the mast. I'd also have to reconfigure the top of the main. Anything else to consider?

Dolce_Vita:
You would have to take 15” off of the foot of the main, not the top. Truncating the top would result in a large roach area that would get hung up on the backstay every time you tacked.  The reef points would also have to be moved up, and a new clew created. That is a lot of sailwork.

A better alternative might be taking enough off of the leech edge to result in a 15” reduction at the head. This avoids moving the reef points, but requires creating both a new head AND clew. Still a fair bit of sailwork.

In any event, the mainsheet would have to be lengthened by 60” (15” x 4).  And the vang (if you have one) lengthened as well.

This mod would raise the center of effort of the sail, resulting in more heeling, and thus more weather helm, at a given wind speed.

Might be simpler to just lower the height of the Dodger!

T_schlueter:
Good thoughts. I'm mostly concerned with safety. It's a real head knocker! I've recently been wearing a thin racer helmet.

Dolce_Vita:
Hmmm...  5 ft above the cockpit seems a bit low.  I wonder if you have a mainsail that's incorrectly sized.  I'm 5'7". and the boom just barely touches me when I have it sheeted in tight on the centerline.

T_schlueter:
And I'm 6ft 3in. I have two mains exactly the same and are originals as far as i can tell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version