Author Topic: Traveler Blocks  (Read 4280 times)

SailRxSin

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Owner
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: RxSin
  • City: Grapevine
  • State: Tx
Traveler Blocks
« on: June 12, 2020, 05:05:06 AM »
Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the small blocks on the traveler that are just labeled "Australia"? I can't seem to find any that fit well and they very much need replacing

Thanks
Skipper
Sailrxsin #353
Sincerely,
Skipper & Cindy
RxSin
Hull 353, 1982 323
Grapevine, TX

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Traveler Blocks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »
Track:
   "X" style, Nicro Fico NF-610
   Top width 1 7/16"
   Height 1 5/16"
   Bottom Width 1 3/4"
   Length 59 3/4" (measured along track)
   Track bent into an arc with ~ 3 1/4" rise at center

Car:
   NF-588 4-wheel, with attached control blocks

Control blocks:
   NF-836, up to 7/16" line, 1 1/8" delrin sheeve (NF 73), integral becket

End Stops:
   NF-611N neoprene, secured with 2" x 5/16" SS pin (NF 611P) pres fit into hole drilled 3/4" from track end

Rig-Rite purchased a lot of Pearson's inventory and still has some parts available, but they’re not very responsive.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:11:28 PM »
As you investigate, consider a new traveller from Garhauer.  You may want to look at another thread on this forum: https://www.pearson323.com/forum/index.php/topic,245.msg1622/

A new traveller will provide significantly more mechanical advantage, lower friction (i.e. less effort), and is an all-around pleasure to use.  It is not that much more expensive; my traveller blocks began to fail, and I inspected the blocks on the car as the control blocks, I realized the whole setup was slowly breaking up - the delrin in the sheaves was cracked in all of them.

Rig-Rite has the parts (and as Ed says, not very responsive), but at a price; Garhauer offered a brand-new setup, customised for Selene, and drop-in. The question for me ended up as - okay, I could get the parts to refurbish the old traveller - but if I did, I would end up with the old, cumbersome design, difficult to use, but some newer components. Or...

Heck, I even told Garhauer they could keep my old rail to use as a template in case other folks needed it!

Just sayin'!

popeye323

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Falmouth
  • State: MA
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:02:06 PM »
All

I also did that and replaced the old traveler set up with a new Harkin traveler system.

I may have all the old blocks and other parts in my spare parts draw.  if you want a used block setup let me know and I will see what I have left.

Steve
Total Chaos # 360

SailRxSin

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RxSin
  • City: Grapevine
  • State: Tx
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 12:34:32 PM »
All

I also did that and replaced the old traveler set up with a new Harkin traveler system.

I may have all the old blocks and other parts in my spare parts draw.  if you want a used block setup let me know and I will see what I have left.

Steve
Total Chaos # 360

Steve, Thanks so much for the offer and I would love to take you up on it if you think the blocks still have some good life to them.  Please email me at skipbert71@gmail.com
Sincerely,
Skipper & Cindy
RxSin
Hull 353, 1982 323
Grapevine, TX