Pearson Boats - Common Systems > Plumbing and Galley Systems

Cleaning the water tanks

(1/2) > >>

SailRxSin:
RxSin is hull #353, 1982.  We just got her in December and recently inspected the water tanks and they are disgusting.  a significant layer of brown sludge has built up and as everyone here knows, very limited access to the interior of the tanks for cleaning.  I have ran bleach with water through them but this has not helped. 

I wish I could find a small power washer with a flexible shaft to help clean.  Does anyone have any ideas or solutions for me? 

Thanks,
Skipper

popeye323:
Hi

I recently searched the internet for cleaning water tanks and read that for plastic tanks to use vinegar. I used a half of cup for each tank. I let it sit in there for several days.  It seemed to make a difference in my tanks but they were not as bad as yours sound.

Good Luck

Steve
Total Chaos  # 360

selene:
In extremis - I remember reading a tip from a lady who title herself 'The Head Mistress', and is an authority on heads.  For really dirty holding tanks, she suggested putting non-foaming detergent into the tank, and then a bag of ice, then go sailing.  The ice bangs around, rather like an internal scrubbing brush, loosening any deposits, with the help of the detergent. And when all is done, the resulting liquid can simply be pumped out. I wonder if that approach would also work for water tanks? There are no baffles...

SailRxSin:
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions

sfomarc:
I have a 32 Pearson and took out the starboard tank and power washed the inside.  I am also replacing all the original water lines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version