Author Topic: Keel Nuts/Bolts - P26  (Read 2062 times)

Vza

• P26
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P26
  • Vessel Name: Infinity
  • City: Fort Lee
  • State: NJ
Keel Nuts/Bolts - P26
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
Hi All, I have a P26 1981. I finally broke down to address my keel bolts. Been ok for the last 10 years. But presently the nuts caught some of my attention. Maybe 3 out of the 8 are showing considerable rust,I always maintained them with a coat of rustoleum for protection. Managed to split and chisel off 2 of the nuts.(Yes...I'm on the hard) The bolt studs look surprisingly good showing no rust. I assume the rusted nuts came from water from the topside draining into the bilge (leaking port light). The bilge otherwise, when there is no rain, is completely dry as a bone so this leads me to believe the unseen part of the bolts are sealed well because there is no seepage of water leaking up through from the bottom. Well, then I figured 'while I'm in here with 2 bolts off' lets how well these bolts are bedded into the hull.... MAN....There is no way in the world these bolts are coming out without any major work....they are so solid it leads me to believe they're welded to the keel!!  Is that possible. So.. I think I'm just going to change out the nuts and washers considering :
1.The top viewable parts of the bolts are pristine with no rust
2.There is no apparent movement of the keel at seam where the keel meets the hull and no water seeping up through the keel joint.
3.No way I can hammer the bolts out anyway
4.Seems the keel is bedded better now than it would be if I were to pull it all apart and re-bed it. Another words 'if it ain't broke"

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Vince
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 04:43:16 PM by admin »