Author Topic: Shifter Cable  (Read 695 times)

Gjward63

• P33
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P33
  • Vessel Name: WindWard
  • City: Bel Air
  • State: MD
Shifter Cable
« on: September 25, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »
1986 Pearson 33-2, Shifter cable Replacement
This is a fairly easy repair, use a tracer string when pulling out the old cable and installing the new cable, I used an 1/8" diameter string tied to the old cable, then re-tied to the new cable.....this helps guide the new cable without tangling on the steering chains and other wires that were inside the pedestal.

I didn't know what size length of cable I needed, therefore, I bought a few various length cables, the existing old cable measured 16', I bought/installed a 17' foot cable.  There was plenty of room the "loose" the extra 12". Installing a cable 16' or 17' foot long cable works perfectly A 15' foot cable might have been too short, an 18' foot cable could possibly fit.  Very little adjustment was needed, connect the both ends, manually put transmission in neutral, at the pedestal move the lever to the neutral position THEN tighten down the linkage going to the shifter lever.

While you are there: clean and lube the steering chains, lube steering bearings at the pedestal, below deck check/adjust tension on steering cable going to the rudder.  Put everything else back together, go sailing!

Greg
GJWard