Author Topic: Please help me identify this fixture on my Pearson 27  (Read 3956 times)

Geoks59

• P27
  • Pearson 27 Hull 158
    • View Profile
  • Model: P27
  • Vessel Name: Saoirse
  • City: Raymond
  • State: ME
Please help me identify this fixture on my Pearson 27
« on: April 28, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »
Hi fellow Pearson owners.

I'm pretty new to the forum and this is my first post. I own a 1988 Pearson 27 (great boat!). On the starboard traveler riser on the cabin top, there is a lever mounted. It goes through the deck and can be accessed from inside the cabin by removing the access panel cover for the traveler bolts. It is not attached to the traveler. The lever is connected to a ball that seems to be eccentric so it tightens a bit when the lever is up and loosens with the lever is down. The change in tension is not significant, but it is noticeable when the lever is moved.

It is not attached to anything inside the space behind the panel cover.  It is in an odd place and orientation for an antenna mount.  It is not a bilge pump handle. 

I'm at a loss to figure out what this thing is for and what it is supposed to do.

Photos of the device are attached, including a close up. Also attached are photos of the traveler.

If anyone knows what the heck this thing is, please let me know!

Thanks for your help.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Re: Please help me identify this fixture on my Pearson 27
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 07:12:09 AM »
It is a mystery. My first thought is a locking mechanism of some sort  to cleat the traveler line - just a guess on my part.
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »
It sort of looks like half of a VHF antenna swivel mount.

Another possibility that just came to mind is a camera mounting point for a GoPro.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Geoks59

• P27
  • Pearson 27 Hull 158
    • View Profile
  • Model: P27
  • Vessel Name: Saoirse
  • City: Raymond
  • State: ME
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
Good suggestions.  However, there are no control lines on the traveler, only spring stops.  The antenna mount gets lots of traction around the forums, but it is in a very odd location for an antenna.  Likewise a spot for a go pro and it has been on the boat since long before go pros were a gleam in someone's eye!.  It is a mystery for sure.