Author Topic: New P323 owner  (Read 3812 times)

mitchellthomas

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Grace
  • City: channel islands
  • State: CA
New P323 owner
« on: April 16, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »
Hello!

This is my first sailboat, which I actually purchased in November of last year, and since I haven't sailed in over 30 years. I'm pretty much starting from scratch there as well. My boat has a ton of deferred maintenance that needs to be tackled (the PO had a major health issue right after purchasing the boat so it sat for a year) - and before that it was a live-aboard for a few years.

I've already done a bunch of work on it, but the big target right now is the engine. Currently it is powered by a Volvo MD11c, but I'm considering going electric - so if anyone here has any experience with that I would love to hear from you.

Cheers

T_schlueter

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sandalfoot
  • City: Port Clinton
  • State: OH
Re: New P323 owner
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:32:32 AM »
Welcome!  I acquired my 323 2 years ago after setting for 4 years so I understand your issues. Engine is one of my issues though I'm sticking with the existing gas Atomic 4. Keep us updated as you search out the electric option.
New owner of "project boat"

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »
I just rebuilt my Atomic Four but electric is viable for the sailing we do- you might like this:

these two have already done extensive sailing with a converted golf-cart motor they call "Electrobeake". Now one of their patrons has given them a sweet electric sail drive which they install in this episode.

They are young and both architecs- And they are a lot more mechanically inclined than the architects I've worked with...

https://youtu.be/WAhlrGck-bc

T_schlueter

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sandalfoot
  • City: Port Clinton
  • State: OH
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 11:27:44 AM »
Nice, but expensive! You could put $15k into a setup like that with batteries at a minimum.
New owner of "project boat"

mitchellthomas

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Grace
  • City: channel islands
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 05:58:32 PM »
Alma - thanks for the link! Uma was actually one of my inspirations for making this change. Apparently, there are a few other YouTubers that are also all-electric.

I will definitely post updates. Initial cost estimate for motor and battery pack are in the $8-10k range, add to that solar and related electronics.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 12:40:16 PM »
Mitchell,

Welcome to the forum!  I hope you'll keep us appraised of your progress.  Maybe even start a blog or YouTube channel of your own!

I..these two have already done extensive sailing with a converted golf-cart motor they call "Electrobeake". Now one of their patrons has given them a sweet electric sail drive which they install in this episode.

They are young and both architecs- And they are a lot more mechanically inclined than the architects I've worked with...

https://youtu.be/WAhlrGck-bc

Alma,

OMG!  I don't know whether to thank you or curse you!    Being an engineer, I was interested, and immediately viewed their episodes on installing the new electric saildrive.  THEN I went back in time and view the episodes on installing their original electric motor.  By then, I was hooked, and went back to episode #1 and started binge-watching.  Nine hours and 35 episodes later, I called it quits for the day!  (What else have I got to do during the COVID-19 shutdown? ;) ) Only ~200 more to go!

Although I enjoy all the "lifestyle" stuff, my favorite episodes are the more technical ones covering cabinetry, anchoring, fiberglassing, etc.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:44:01 PM by Dolce_Vita »
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 10:09:05 PM »
Good for you!

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 03:05:11 AM »
Darn. I am now hooked also...

They seem like good people.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 08:52:44 AM »
Yes they are really nice folks.

If you want to see our very favorite sailing couple try these two on their Hallberg Rassy 54 Cloudy Bay.

For a time I worked at the Cherubini Yard so I've seen some 'Bristol' yachts but this HR 54 is maintained better than anything I've seen. It is 6 or 7 years old too!

We love show this because most of the show is sailing and that boat sails like a dream.

This episode they anchor in Cape May, NJ our home port, and they say it is one of the most lovely places they've been- That's saying something with everywhere they've been and we couldn't agree more...

https://youtu.be/wPLvLN-epiM