Author Topic: Plas-teak or other synthetics  (Read 5074 times)

SailRxSin

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Owner
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: RxSin
  • City: Grapevine
  • State: Tx
Plas-teak or other synthetics
« on: March 21, 2020, 05:18:05 PM »
Has anyone replaced the sole with Plas-teak or similar syntetic flooring?  Our is badly damaged in some spots and I am reluctant to replace with wood again in case there is another leak.  What? A sailboat have a leak?  I know, crazy right?

Thanks,
Skipper and Cindy
Sincerely,
Skipper & Cindy
RxSin
Hull 353, 1982 323
Grapevine, TX

Last Resort

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
Re: Plas-teak or other synthetics
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 09:06:33 PM »
I can't speak to the flooring, but I replaced my toe rails with PlasTEAK out of Ohio, and have loved it from day one. 7 years later, I've had no issues and still looks like new. Most people don't even notice till onboard or I actually have to point it out. I wouldn't give it a second thought to changing over for my Teak and Holly sole when it comes time.  That said, my sole was in bad shape too, and I scraped off all the old coatings, sanded and it came up quite well. There were some parts of the Holly stripes that were too far gone, but I touched them up with some matching paint and then recoated with satin varnish which again covered up many flaws and the sole looks great. If the wood is black all the way through from top to bottom, there's no hope. But if it's just surface damage, give one piece a go and see how well it comes back :)  good luck!!!

SailRxSin

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RxSin
  • City: Grapevine
  • State: Tx
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 10:04:37 PM »
I can't speak to the flooring, but I replaced my toe rails with PlasTEAK out of Ohio, and have loved it from day one. 7 years later, I've had no issues and still looks like new. Most people don't even notice till onboard or I actually have to point it out. I wouldn't give it a second thought to changing over for my Teak and Holly sole when it comes time.  That said, my sole was in bad shape too, and I scraped off all the old coatings, sanded and it came up quite well. There were some parts of the Holly stripes that were too far gone, but I touched them up with some matching paint and then recoated with satin varnish which again covered up many flaws and the sole looks great. If the wood is black all the way through from top to bottom, there's no hope. But if it's just surface damage, give one piece a go and see how well it comes back :)  good luck!!!

Thanks for the info.  The floor under the table, against the aft sette is pretty bad, it just peels off very easily.  So it appear it will need replacement. 
Sincerely,
Skipper & Cindy
RxSin
Hull 353, 1982 323
Grapevine, TX

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 03:00:32 PM »
Last Resort- Can you remember what the toe-rail replacement project cost?

Last Resort

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 11:55:11 PM »
I went the expensive way so as to have original 7' lengths (custom cuts), and it only cost me $360US then. If I had gone with 6' lengths (normal sheet lengths), it would've only cost just over $200, but I wasn't sure it could work. Now after doing the job, I think it could have. Also, I went with 1 7/8" vs their 2", but that WAS a mistake. Get the 2". I had them hollow out the bottom to allow room for the bolt heads, but the 1 7/8" width did not allow enough room for the bolt heads and I had to countersink each spot separately. I believe the 2" would fit better.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:16:49 PM »
Thanks!