Author Topic: Hand crank atomic 4  (Read 2891 times)

T_schlueter

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sandalfoot
  • City: Port Clinton
  • State: OH
Hand crank atomic 4
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:42:49 PM »
My atomic 4 is reverse mounted with v drive which makes access to flywheel very difficult. Hand cranking from there would be out of the question. Any other way to hand crank? I'm not sure it can even be started by hand.
New owner of "project boat"

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Hand crank atomic 4
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »
I know of no other way. In the Vendee Globe race years ago a Frenchman drained his batteries and couldn't use the electric starter. He rigged up many sheaves and with a strong jibe pull-started his Diesel with lines lead to the flywheel!

Many many years ago Lucas (Jaguar, MG, Triumph) made a spring loaded accessory to the electric starter that could be wound-up with many small movements of a handle but it didn't fit the Atomic Four.

My Atomic Four started on the very first revolution when warm and only two or three cold on the Choke-

I guess the only fail-safe would be an additional spare starter and good strong jumper cables to go directly to one of the batteries or an automotive jump-starter...

The starter is robust and carries four electric brushes. A spare solenoid is cheap. I'm rebuilding my engine and likely I'll use the 1975 starter again. New Chinese junk (parts) seem next to worthless and getting a real DELCO new-old-stock starter OR solenoid would be a scavenger hunt.

Its almost ready-

T_schlueter

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sandalfoot
  • City: Port Clinton
  • State: OH
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 04:27:38 PM »
Wow! That's awesome.  Will you test run before reinstalling? Is that an oil fill spout above the flywheel? My spout goes through the gear box lid.
New owner of "project boat"

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:27:20 PM »
Yes all VeeDrive A-4 engines have two oil fills. One on the transmission and one on the engine over the flywheel.

I don't think I'll test run the A-4- Once the engine's camshaft/crank timing is certain the rest is cake. The engine is so heavy having the opportunity to add the manifold, alternator, accessory drive and vee-drive once the engine is settled on the cabin floor may be simpler for me.

Messing with oil, gasoline, coolant and other ancillaries just to see it run a minute on its own might be wasted effort.

But I haven't made up my mind completely.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:54:47 PM by Alma »