Author Topic: Tiny waste tank issue solved. 38 Gallon Waste Tank Install.  (Read 4436 times)

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
Tiny waste tank issue solved. 38 Gallon Waste Tank Install.
« on: March 09, 2020, 11:53:45 PM »
This is not a typo.Like many of you, I was annoyed at the limited amount of time the holding rank allowed between emptying.  If you were not in a location where you could dump overboard, you were pretty much screwed.

After looking at all options and not being sold on any, i decied to create my own solution.

My 78 Pearson 323 came with the 40 gal bow tank option. The bow tank had a large crack in it and wasnt usable. The tank is installed before they install the deck to the hull making removal impossible.

I had to cut 3 inches off the rear of tank  just so it could be wiggled out of the bow and then another inch so it would fit through both head doors and the companion hatch. The bow sliding door needs to be removed to get the tank in and out.

After getting the tank home, I mocked up what I wanted and were. I decided to install all fitting centerline down midship so even if the boat heels, not much of anything would drain back into a hose,  and be allowed to sit.

I'm not pumping overboard in my area so a macerator is not a concern and will not be installed. Since the hoses are the weakest point, I wanted little to no waste sitting in a hose. I wanted a tank drain and waste inlet located on top of the tank with a dip tube running to the aft most deepest section of the tank to get everything out when pumped out. This would eliminate that problem.  I finished it off with a big 1 inch vent and a capped inspection port.

After making some calls and asking around I found a company in Florida named Dura Weld. They  make custom welded polyethylene tanks and were highly recommended by a few people. I spoke with Gaerth and assured me the tank will be built like a tank to any spec I supply.

After a lot of digging on the internet, I found the original schematic from the manufacturer of the original bow tank. I checked their measurements to my tank and they were spot on. I instructed Gaerth to build the tank 4 inches shorter then the schematic and where I wanted the ports. An internal baffle was also a must to limit the fluid movement within the tank.

From the time I placed the order until delivery was less than 3 weeks. It fits absolutely perfect.

I will make a follow up post once the boat is splashed and I have used it.

The starboard bow locker is now completely empty. It can easily hold 2 massive 6v batteries and then some if you want to move the house bank forward.

Full disclosure the tank is less then 900 bucks to build plus freight.  Top of the line raritan hose will set you back about 180 bucks and another 50 for the vent line.

If you plan on doing this upgrade, please take these 2 pieces of advice.
 1) Do NOT make this tank from this schematic any longer than 28 inches in overall length or you will not be able to get the tank into the companion hatch or the inner doorways. When I tell you butter is needed to slide this in, it is not an exaggeration.
2) The 4 inches must be removed from the AFT END of the tank to make the overall triangle smaller. Do not take it off of the front.

Here are some pictures. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Michael
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny waste tank issue solved. 38 Gallon Waste Tank Install.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 11:55:46 PM »
More pics
Michael M

Yanmar 3GM30F

m_boone

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Blue Sky
  • City: Philadelphia
  • State: PA
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 09:51:56 PM »
Wow that is really something! Useful for those without the bow tank option as well.

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: AnaMeg
  • City: Superior
  • State: WI
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 09:52:28 PM »
Michael, I like your solution. And I feel your aches and pains moving that tank through the boat. I did something similar about 15 yrs ago. However, I used the existing bow tank. Your description reminded me of the struggles I went through trying to get the tank out. I finally gave up and used the bow water tank as is. I talked with Kracor and they said the construction was the same as they use for holding tanks so should not be a structural problem.  Although Kracor said it was a 40 gal tank, when I filled it with water it took 29.5 gal. No matter; that's enough. At that time PVC pipe was the talk behind the "proper" scenes so I used it. No problems... yet. Also no odor... yet.

Geoff

Scott

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Dartmouth Nova Scotia
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
Hi, How was the vent configured in terms of exit to the exterior of the boat ? Scott

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 08:04:41 AM »
The orig 1/2 inch tank vent on my 78 exited on the starboard side of the boat a few inches below the rail and is accessible in the head after you swing out the sink. I kept everything the same but installed a new vent fitting and hose. The new vent fitting is from Vetus and requires a much bigger hole. I just aligned the new hole so it swallowed up the old hole and that was it.

When I removed my old vent line, I was surprised to see how much "stuff" made it's way into the vent line and solidified. If there was a 1/16th of an inch opening for the gasses to escape I wouldn't of been surprised.

Mike
Michael M

Yanmar 3GM30F

DavidG

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Independence
  • City: Georgetown
  • State: MD
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 01:21:49 PM »
Michael, I am in the process of purchasing a 1980 P323 (new to forum) and with my initial inspection of my boat, I identified a broken bow tank/fitting.  So, your information with mfg. of a new tank got my attention, especially after reading about these tanks being non-repairable!  Although after reviewing your pictures, if I remember correctly the tank that I was looking at appeared to be a small tank at the bow (your picture looks like two tanks in tandem?) and not two tanks in tandem.  The bow tank has a hose connection at the bottom vee portion that was broken away/off, literally a small triangular portion of the tank's bulkhead (vertical plane) and encompassing the fitting.  I initially thought this would be an easy epoxy job to glue flat stock over the missing bulkhead and drill the new hole for the hose fitting (PS - thanks also for the Vetus reference for the inspection hole/clamp/cap, which also enlightened me to another problem/solution)?   The tank looks yellowish and appears brittle (since the triangular section "sheard" leaving a clean sharp edged triangular hole), but I am not familiar with the material?  I did not take a picture but have plenty of time to dig into it in more detail when I get the boat home.  Your references are very useful to mfg a new tank, which I appreciate you sharing this information.  If there are any additional insights you can share, it would certainly be appreciated!?  I will definitely be designing in protection around this fitting/hose connection point with my repair/design!  Thanks