General Category - Pearson Owners and Enthusiasts > General Discussion

Need help for USCG documentation

(1/1)

Blue Heron:
Hi gang,

I would like to get my boat federally documented so that I can offer sailing charters. My problem is that the USCG requires something like a statement of origin...basically a letter from an officer of the company that  manufactured the boat, stating that the boat was made in the USA...but since Pearson Yachts is out of business, I don't know how to get that.

Have any of you been through this or does anyone have some advice as to how I can get this "proof" that the boat was built in the USA?

Thanks,

Chet

selene:
When I bought Selene, she was already USCG registered,  Even so, the paperwork was tricky.  I used a title company to deal with background checking, ownership paperwork, transferring the ownership and the USCG updating. It cost a bit, but that part of the process went smoothly.  But equally you can do it yourself - but it can get confusing with many forms required.....

Regarding your concern, I am no expert but I looked on the USCG vessel documentation site (http://uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/default.asp), and to be honest it looks pretty straightforward (my underlining!):

"If the vessel is new and has never been documented, ownership may be established by submission of a Builder's Certification (Form CG-1261), naming the applicant for documentation as the person for whom the vessel was built or to whom the vessel was first transferred. Also acceptable are a transfer on a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, a copy of the State Registration or Title, or foreign registration showing that the applicant owns the vessel.

In the case of a previously owned vessel, the applicant must present bills of sale, or other evidence showing transfer of the vessel from the person who last documented, titled, or registered the vessel, or to whom the vessel was transferred on a Builder's Certification or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. If title was transferred by some means other than a bill of sale, contact the NVDC for assistance."

So it would appear a bill of sale will work fine.

Captain Bri:
I have heard there may be additional hoops to jump when trying to document a vessel for commercial chartering. My boat had expired USCG papers (for recreational use) that I was able to renew with a copy of the boat title from NC.

If they really need a signed document then there is one known as "theboat" by Bill Shaw, which describes a philosophy behind the boat design, has his signature, and has the address of Pearson Yachts.  It and these other documents can be found on www.pearson323.com/p323documents.html

Good luck...

Now or Never!:
The Coast Guard folks in WV are really helpful and easy to work with.  They won't cut any corners, but they will tell you exactly what you need to do to document the boat.  Remember, one of the reasons for documentation to to prove clear title to the vessel.  You will need a bill of sale and it would probably have to be notarized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version