Author Topic: Clinton Pearson, RIP  (Read 2829 times)

T_schlueter

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sandalfoot
  • City: Port Clinton
  • State: OH
Clinton Pearson, RIP
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:48:13 PM »
I ran across this in Scuttlebutt today:

Clinton J. Pearson, 91, of Bristol (RI), passed away at Newport Hospital on April 4, 2020. He was the husband of Carolyn (Broomhead) Pearson for 60 years and the son of the late Lillian and Carl Pearson.

Born in Pawtucket, RI, on March 6, 1929, he attended school in Pawtucket and graduated from Pawtucket High School in 1947. He attended and graduated from Brown University as part of the Navy ROTC. Clinton served in the U.S. Navy, as a midshipman aboard the USS Missouri and then with an officer’s commission aboard the USS Joseph P. Kennedy Jr.

His boatbuilding career began in 1956. He was the founder and chairman of both the Pearson Yacht Company and Bristol Yachts, which spawned the birth of the fiberglass boat industry in Southern New England, an industry that ultimately employed thousands of people and fundamentally changed the boating world.

Building more than 20,000 boats during his career, his designs are still enjoyed by their owners today.

In 1959 he married his lifelong love, Carolyn, and they made their home in Bristol. He was honored as the Chief Marshall of the Bristol Fourth of July Celebration in 1961.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by four children, Lisa and Dr. Thomas Enright of Bristol (RI), Joshua Pearson and Kimberly Gastle of Toronto (CAN), Dana and Teresa Pearson of Providence (RI), and Martha and Kevin Handley of Bristol (RI); a sister, Marilyn Walton of Satellite Beach (FL); ten grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren. He was pre-deceased by a granddaughter.

A memorial service will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Newport Hospital Foundation, 11 Friendship St., Newport, RI 02840 or to HopeHealth Hospice, 1085 North Main St., Providence, RI 0290
New owner of "project boat"

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Re: Clinton Pearson, RIP
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:34:54 AM »
Thanks for sharing - its the end of an era for the Pearson Cousins. It was in late 2017 that Everett passed and I had saved this brief obit, but I don't recall the source of it:

Founding Father of Fiberglass, Everett Pearson Passes
He And His Followers Brought Affordable Boating to America's Middle Class

Everett A. Pearson, the leading pioneer of production fiberglass boat production, crossed the bar this week. He was 84. Pearson Yachts and its successors were known mostly for their sailboats, but ventured into power with the stylish True North series, represented above by the True North 34.

Pearson was the co-founder of Pearson Yachts, the first company to build production fiberglass boats, earning him the title "grandfather of fiberglass production." In 1968, he continued his boatbuilding and fiberglass work with the start of Tillotson-Pearson Inc. (TPI). TPI built wind blades, all-composite bus bodies, test track vehicles for Disney Imagineering, the branches on the Animal Kingdom Tree of Life, numerous other products, and the most well-known, J Boats.

It was the widespread adoption of fiberglass as pioneered by Pearson that made recreational boating affordable to the World War II generation and their children.

Men and Ships; Rot in Port

T_schlueter

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sandalfoot
  • City: Port Clinton
  • State: OH
Re: Clinton Pearson, RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
I had no idea Pearson was on the ground floor of FRP boats. I appreciate my 323 more everyday!
New owner of "project boat"