Author Topic: Propane tank(s) vented hoses  (Read 5641 times)

nickzchef

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: IntimSea
  • City: Marion, Massachusetts
  • State: MA
Propane tank(s) vented hoses
« on: November 18, 2011, 02:20:07 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has the same problem as I?  I have copper tubing lines that lead out to the stern on both propane tank lockers. The problem I have is the connection on the lower tank fitting is slightly lower than the stern exit connection. Thus, water collects in the copper tube, and has the tendency to freeze/burst during the winter on several occasions. And of course water and snow is always melting into the locker.  I keep these locker openings covered with plywood in the cockpit as much as possible so this helps a bit.

If your unaware of the burst line, and then motoring at 1/2 speed or more, water just gets sucked in from the Bay as the stern dips low.

So my repair has always been the two part epoxy stick, but its not always reliable.  So, just wondering if anyone else has come up against this and how they have handled it.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:58:27 AM by SeaFever »

nickzchef

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: IntimSea
  • City: Marion, Massachusetts
  • State: MA
Re: Propane tank(s) vented hoses
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
Okay, I was forced to remove my propane lockers with the 31 year sealant, a daunting thought at first >:(.  Logic told me to get a Multi tool with the thin scoop like attachment, sort of an L shaped thin blade, 3/4" wide or less I think.  I fitted this at the topside base of the locker from the cockpit and it dug inside and cut through the 31 year old sealant (after I removed the 5 or 6 screws first). After disconnecting everything it was still very hard to push the locker up and out. Very tough awkward angle!  I rigged a small capacity bottle jack underneath and proceeded to jack it up and out.  Be careful here, go slow and make sure enough sealant has been sliced through!  While I was in there I also replaced my nylon through hull for my bilge pump hose. It was looking old and beat, and ready to fail. Success.

I replaced most of my copper line (2 feet inside length) with marine grade water hoses and clamped them, and kept the same connections for the vent bottom and exit through hull. Should not burst anymore!