Author Topic: Lexan Cabin hatch crack  (Read 3790 times)

MLuxton

• P28
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • City: Lake Stockton
  • State: MO
Lexan Cabin hatch crack
« on: March 27, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »
We just bought our first sailboat; a 1986 Pearson 28-2.  The sliding cabin hatch is cracked.  The previous owner covered it with duck tape and it has kept it from leaking, but looks less than professional.  I'd like to seal the crack if possible.  I've looked at several plastic weld products, but I don't know which one to try.  Have any of you used any of these products to repair cracks?  I'm assuming the hatch is made of lexan, but that's a swag.  Thanks.
Mike and Kelly
1986 Pearson 28-2
Hull # 133

Last Resort

• P31
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
Re: Lexan Cabin hatch crack
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:03:25 AM »
if it was me, I'd try and find something very liquid (resin, epoxy, superglue, etc.) that would run right down into the crack and let it try, then remove any excess left on top and that should waterproof it, give it back some strength and look a lot better than duct tape.

757guy

• P28
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • Vessel Name: SYZYGY
  • City: Lake City MN
  • State: MN
Re: Lexan Cabin hatch crack
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »
  We had ours crack twice, probably from charter folks standing on it to deal with the mainsail.  For replacement contact Mark Plastic in Corona CA  92879.  Last I dealt with them they had no email, phone # 951 735 7705.  Measure what you have precisely--one size does not fir all.