Author Topic: Spartite Kit for P323  (Read 3671 times)

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Spartite Kit for P323
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:31:05 PM »
I am ordering the Spartite kit for my P323 to seal the mast partners. Anybody know if I will need the small kit (51 cubic inches) or large kit (102 cubic inches)? 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:34:40 PM by admin »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
Re: Spartite Kit for P323
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 10:33:20 PM »
I decided to order the smaller kit for the P323 and it was big enough with material to spare. 

For those that are not familiar with it, Spartite is a 2-part material you mix to fill the gap between the mast and deck and let it harden.

Process:
I built the dam (foam, clay, and masking tape) around the mast and poured in the material to fill about 1/4" over the collar.
I will try and write it up for the projects page.  I took this photo when I removed the masking tape - I had put a wedge at the back of the mast to maximize a 360 degree seal around the mast. This was taken before I did the final trim and clean up. It looks to be a very water-tight solution and I am happy with the results.

T_schlueter

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sandalfoot
  • City: Port Clinton
  • State: OH
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 05:14:45 PM »
Interesting! You don't use a boot. My mast seems to wiggle around which would break that stuff up. How do you unstep your mast?
New owner of "project boat"

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:52:13 PM »
While researching the Spartite solution I noticed that it is a very similar idea as that of the "urethane" wedge that was used by Pearson as original equipment -- except that I believe it will be more watertight. When I pulled my mast it had been underneath a canvas cover for decades and was so corroded that both the wedge and aluminum collar were seized to the mast. I had to cut the collar off with a grinder and inadvertently damaged the wedge at the same time. (I had a custom aluminum collar and mast step fabricated by DC products). When I stepped the mast I put a mast boot on it but it did not fit very well over the aluminum collar and decided to remove it once I had Spartite in place.

Here is the product review on Spartite from West Marine:
"Once solid, Spartite provides even support around the mast section, absorbs shock loads and distributes rig loads evenly. The one-piece ring ensures proper mast placement at all times and virtually eliminates water leaks. It stays attached to the mast when the rig is out of the boat".

Before pouring in the compound I rubbed vaseline (it comes in the kit) around the outside perimeter and base as a release agent. When the mast is unstepped it should slide out of the deck along with the mast. And since it acts as a shock absorber and distributes the load evenly around the mast I am anticipating it will not break up. I will let you (and Spartite Corp.) know if it breaks up while sailing this season!

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »
Selene has had Spartite installed for around 10 years.  It has not yet leaked, and remains as solid as when it was first installed. Seems like a great product.

Of course, I have yet to pull the stick, and so am not sure if the vaseline trick will work... :-)