Author Topic: Hatchmasters--Has anyone Used Them?  (Read 3954 times)

Shadow Chaser

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Shadow Chaser
  • City: New York
  • State: NY
Hatchmasters--Has anyone Used Them?
« on: July 29, 2019, 12:14:34 PM »
Hi All,

I have developed the typical leaks between the Bomar Lexan glass and frame in my two hatches.  Has anyone sent the top of their hatches to Hatchmasters  in Connecticut for repair with acrylic glass and new gaskets?  They don't replace with Lexan.  I've read good reviews on other forums, blogs and web sites.  Thanks.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Hatchmasters--Has anyone Used Them?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »
I have a friend with a Bertram who had good success with a watchmaster recondition. It was very expensive.

I removed the acrylic on mine and was luck enough to have a much bigger hatch given to me.

I took that acrylic and cut it down to fit my hatch. I glued it to the aluminum and did not use the phillips screws and did not drill the acrylic. The Hatchmasters also do not use the obsolete screw method.

I took the front hatch acrylic and cut it down to fit the midships hatch (without mounting holes).

They held up nicely but eventually it leaked. Now I have cleaned the hatches and applied electrical tape to the perimeter where the seam is.

They are completely leak free.

Sure I'll need to change out the tape every few years...

Far better than a thousand dollar 'restoration' that will also eventually leak-

Shadow Chaser

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Shadow Chaser
  • City: New York
  • State: NY
Re: Hatchmasters--Has anyone Used Them?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 12:13:14 PM »
Hi Alma,

Thanks for the quick response.  I read with envy all the DIY action on this forum--Sadly, I'm in an urban environment with no access to a workshop, although I enjoy DIY projects when I have the space/tools.  :-\