Author Topic: Performance data clarification needed, and regular or electronic ignition?  (Read 9596 times)

RedRadish

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: RedRadish
  • City: Chicago
  • State: IL
Does anyone have a copy of those pages from Motor Boating and Sailing, December 1976 posted in this site that can be easily read.  I am interested in those charts about the performance of the Pearson 323 with an Atomic 4.  I am interested in data as to best cruising range at what speed or RPM.    Also, any recommendation as to keeping the points andcondensor versus electronic ignition?

Thank you,
RedRadish

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Hey Red.

There's a huge wealth of information available on the Atomic 4 at the Moyer Marine web site:

http://www.moyermarine.com/

Search the forum. You'll find tons of stuff on ingition systems.  I have always favored electronic
ignition. Points can be such a problem source in a marine environment.

That having been said, it's always wise to carry a spare set of points along in case of
failure of the electronics.

As for performance under power, the general consensus is that a well-tuned A-4 will consume
about 1 gallon per hour at cruising speeds.

@(^.^)@  Ed Criscuolo
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
I have enhanced (only slightly) the old boat review document,"condition report" (from Motor Boating and Sailing 1976). The enhanced PDF file is on the new website along with a reproduction of the text for easy reading. http://www.pearson323.com/documents/condition_report.pdf Of course if anyone has a better or original copy I will post it on the website.

Regarding the performance data in the document - the text indicates the boat was equipped with a diesel - so I am not sure if the data they recorded is applicable to the Atomic 4. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:12:22 PM by SeaFever »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port