Author Topic: Internal Halyards  (Read 9151 times)

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Internal Halyards
« on: October 27, 2011, 11:14:10 AM »
I recently attended the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and got a free rigging inspection from Chesapeake Rigging.
The inspection was done this past Tuesday, and I had a long talk with the rigger about my future plans
for pulling the stick to do repairs and upgrades.

One of the things he suggested that I hadn't been considering was conversion to internal halyards.
He had an interesting point that I had not thought about.  With the P323's original external halyards,
there are two sheaves per halyard at the mast head, for a total of four.  When converting to internal
halyards, only one sheave per halyard is needed.  As a result, there is the possibility of rigging two
extra halyards, one fore and one aft!  This sounds like a great safety idea in case of a jammed halyard.
In addition, the extra aft halyard can be used as a topping lift, which is vastly superior to the
clumsy jam-cleat block on the end of the boom, as it can be adjusted easily from the mast.

I was wondering if anyone here had converted to internal halyards, and what experiences,
pro and con, they have had.  My first thoughts were on chafing, both on the rope
and on the mast wiring.  And is there any significant extra drag?
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Chelsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Chelsea
  • City: Muskegon
  • State: MI
Re: Internal Halyards
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
Ed, I'm new with a 323 as I just purchased Chelsea in September.  She has internal halyards for the main and fore sail along with an internal spinnaker halyard and topping lift.. There is another pulley (sheave) on the top of the mast that I have not figured out what it is yet.  Fortunately it doesn't have a line on it for me to confuse with the others... The lines are very quiet and are most likely original rope/wire combination lines that are fraying on the loose end.  I am planning to replace with rope this spring to preserve my hands when using...
If any other questions, I'll try to answer.
Lauri
s/v Chelsea

jmcmonagle

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Free Spirit
  • City: Green Bay
  • State: WI
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:54:03 AM »
I know this is a very old topic but it's exactly what I'm interested in....
Anybody do the conversion?
Is there anything in the original wiring and hardware that needs modification?
Mostly want main and jib internal but spinnaker would be nice.
How does one do the spinnaker internal?
Is the lead from the internal sheave to the block on the spinnaker crane satisfactory?
Any opinions on running the topping lift  internal?

John

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »
Hi John,

I ended up staying with external halyards during my mast rebuild. Didn't want the sound of internal halyards slapping the mast while at anchor. This decision also allowed me to seal the opening in the masthead fitting. This got rid of the water that used too enter during storms and collect at the base of the mast.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Chance

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: CHANCE
  • City: Milwaukee
  • State: WI
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 10:20:36 PM »
On Chance we have two internal jib halyards .One internal main halyard. Add another crane for two external spinnaker halyards. We do race  a lot with crew, so we do sail peels  or changes including spinnakers.  Set one inside the other,to down size or up size .Never really found slapping inside if pull tight on halyard winches. I would be very concern coming off  spin crane to mast sheave on pearson 323 being  your talking about line not cable halyards.Make  sure put your exits at different heights not do weaken the spar.  Bob K  Chance Hull 10    1977    Owner 40 years.