Author Topic: Mast light wiring diagram  (Read 6067 times)

Ford33

• P33
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P33
  • Vessel Name: Spartina
  • City: White Stone
  • State: Va
Mast light wiring diagram
« on: June 08, 2019, 10:08:00 PM »
Hello
Recently purchased a new to me ‘74 p33. The mast wire has been disconnected at the bottom of the mast and the wire in the cabin has been removed or at least I can’t find it. So does anyone know/have a wiring diagram or color codes for the mast wires? I want to run a new wire inside so I can be legal.

Thanks
‘74 P33 The Thoroughbred
“Spartina”
Windmill Point, Va

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Mast light wiring diagram
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »
Not sure which "Mast Light" you're referring to.  There are generally 3 possibilities:

1.  Steaming Light: White light located halfway up the mast, illuminates +-120 degrees forward.  Often labeled as "Bow Light" in the '70s. Required when motoring at night.

2.  Anchor Light: White light located at the masthead with 360 degree 2-mile visibility. Often labeled "Mast Light" in the '70s. Required when anchored at night.

3  Spreader Lights: White downward-facing light(s) for illuminating the deck.  Optional.

In my experience, there was no consistent color coding used by Pearson in the '70's.  My own P-323 was wired up with ordinary THHN house wire, which is totally inappropriate for a marine environment.  And as a result, everything is White, Black, or Green, regardless of function!

According to the Marine color coding for wires (http://www.marinco.com/en/resources/wire-data/marine-color-code), as published by Marinco, the wire from the fuse or switch to any navigation lights should be Gray.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Ford33

• P33
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P33
  • Vessel Name: Spartina
  • City: White Stone
  • State: Va
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »
Thanks Ed,
From the complete lack of information on the subject you pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I was really hoping to just do a simply rewire in the cabin without a bunch of “is it working now moments”. Plus I don’t even know if the bulbs are even any good anymore, haha.  Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.   ::)
‘74 P33 The Thoroughbred
“Spartina”
Windmill Point, Va

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 01:26:47 PM »
The original wiring on my 323 #74 is still performing as it did when built in Portsmouth. I have not had to replace the wiring in my mast. If anything is wrong with the old wire it is now too robust (therefore HEAVY) for LED fixtures.

ALMA is sailed every weekend in the ocean 43 years now. No wires have corroded.

The ABYC is not always the best recommendation. But if rewiring is in your future there surely is no down side except expense in following the ABYC color codes.

The only ABYC color code I always follow is the 'new' color for 12V DC ground. The new color is yellow not black as we are all used to.

The yellow is to make sure no one confuses the 120V AC HOT Black wire with a simple 12V Ground. That error could be dangerous.

But feel free to use Radio Shack speaker wire for speakers... There is no need to spend a fortune on Anchor Brand 'tinned' Boat Cable. It is just a waste of money.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 03:47:06 PM »
Ed - in my case, there is a fourth set of lights. Selene also has nav lights at the masthead, for better visibility offshore/in rough conditions.

Without meaning to divert the conversations, my wires are loose in the mast, and bang around at night.  Any ideas? May mast is due to be pulled in the fall to replace the running rigging...

Some put in a plastic conduit, but I don't fancy pop riveting that all the way up the mast. Others suggest 3 zip ties every few feet - but I worry the ends will break off, blocking the drain hole in the bottom of the mast. Perhaps a couple of ties, one at the spreaders, one 1/3rd of the way up?

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 08:59:14 AM »
My P323 was the same way when we bought it.  The noise drove me nuts at anchor!

When I rebuilt the mast in 2012, I discovered that there was already a metal conduit inside the mast, but the wires ran outside of it!!  I rerouted all the masthead wires through it.  Used a shop vac on one end to suck a messenger string through, and then pull a heavy cord, and then the wires.

There was no mid-mast opening in the conduit, so the spreader light wires had to run outside the conduit.  I used hollow foam swim noodles and slid them up the wires to keep them from clattering.  It was tight but it worked.

Alas, I discovered that wires in a conduit will STILL clatter, though not as badly!! :(  Next time I have the mast down, I plan to do the wire-tie trick on the wires in the conduit.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 12:12:35 AM »
I had the same issue and we used foam copper pipe insulation from Home Depot. They already have one side that has been cut so you just slide them on the wire and up the mast. Wasn’t perfect but got the job done. Good luck

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
Thanks all.  I'll let you know how it goes.