Author Topic: A little plumbing help for a newbie  (Read 3404 times)

TomDean

• P35
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P35
  • Vessel Name: Windspiel
  • City: Columbia
  • State: MD
A little plumbing help for a newbie
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
Hi,
I have a Pearson 35 (1976) which is new to me (come over from a powerboat) and trying to figure everything out. I have looked in the literature I have and online, but can’t find the answer so far. I have a regular bilge pump with a float - but also a second bilge pump that only runs when I turn on from the switch (near ice box switch). I notice when I run water in the sinks that I don’t see water draining out anywhere, so I was wondering - is that second bilge pump used to get rid of water from the shower, sink in the head and sink in the galley? If so, any idea how large that bilge is ( don’t want to run it and burn out the motor - but don’t want it to flood as my wife takes a shower either!)
Thanks for the help!

popeye323

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: Falmouth
  • State: MA
Re: A little plumbing help for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
Hi  I am not sure I can help you but I will describe the set up on my 1982 Pearson 323.  My main galley sink drains directly  into a hose for one of my cockpit scuppers, The cockpit scupper drain directly overboard below the waterline. That may explain why you don't  see the water going any where. The sink in the head as well as the shower drain into a collection box (shower sump) located in the bilge. This keeps the gray washing water from going into the bilge and mixing with any water collected in the bilge.  The gray water in the collection box is then pumped over board, via a thru hull above the water line near the head with a separate pump that is activated by a push pull switch. My switch is located in the head area but yours may be someplace different.  That is the set up on my boat anyway and it may answer some of your questions, especially if the plumbing is similar