Author Topic: Hello all from Montana  (Read 3329 times)

Reaching

• Renegade
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: Renegade
  • Vessel Name: Vayu
  • City: HELENA
  • State: MT
Hello all from Montana
« on: April 20, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »
Greetings all! I am brand new to the forum and very grateful to have found it. I am the proud new owner of Vayu, a 1967 27' Renegade, #107. Hope you kind folks don't mind us odd balls joining in. I see most of the folks here have the 323's (a mighty fine yacht from what I am reading here). I am very impressed with the workmanship and durability of the Pearsons they seem very well built and crafted with quality materials. Mine was very well maintained by her previous owners so I don't have any major work to do off the bat, which is good. Her old home was out in the Puget Sound/San Juan, area so she has been a salt water gal for most of her life. She'll now be sailing the smaller freshwater lakes of Montana for the near future anyway. My previous boat was a Victory 21' so I am looking forward to the extra space in Vayu. I know she's only 27', but she seems huge to me right now. I'm sure I'll need lots of help with maintaining her and I'll have a bunch of questions, so I ask for your patience with this newbie. Does anyone know if there are any other Renegade owners on the forum? Thanks again to all who manage, participate, and support this site and forum, it is a great resource.
"Not all those who wander are lost", JRR Tolkien

Reaching

• Renegade
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all from Montana
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 06:48:34 PM »
Here we are high in the Cascades on our way to Vayu's new home port in Montana.

admin

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Captain Bri
    • View Profile
    • Red Sky Sails
  • Model: Ensign
  • State: CT
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »
Welcome aboard!  From what I see in the member list you are the first Renegade owner to sign up for the forum. Its a beautiful boat and hopefully we will have other owners sign up.

Although I am now on the east coast I spent most of my racing days in Colorado sailing in the J22 and U20 classes, and I miss the beautiful lakes. I'm undecided if I miss those mountain winds though -- we raced in some conditions that I should not have been out.  :D

Here is an excerpt from Practical Sailor on the Renegade:

This late 70’s racer/cruiser, designed by Bill Shaw, was Pearson’s first boat with a split underbody. Though a bit small for family cruising, she sails smartly.

The cat is finally out of the bag. Few owners of the Pearson Renegade know that, if it weren’t for a band of anxious Pearson employees, designer Bill Shaw’s then-latest creation would have been called the “Rogue.” The name, they were to discover on the eve of the 1967 New York Boat Show, had already been registered by another boatbuilder, and they needed a substitute—fast—that wouldn’t involve remaking the mainsail’s logo “R.”

After the group had exhausted every other conceivable alliteration for a breakthrough design (which this boat was), they hit upon the name Renegade. That was fine with everyone at Pearson, because no one was particularly enamored with Rogue anyway. Whether it was the name, the boat’s snappy looks or its radical underbody, boat show orders, in 1967, came in like the first pizza joint to open in Hoboken. The Renegade was not only an advanced design; at $7,800, it was priced right.

Said Shaw, “Before we walked into that show, I challenged our sales department to come up with 100 orders and they came back with 135. We knew we had a winner.”

Renegade production ran from 1967 to 1970 in Pearson’s Portsmouth, Rhode Island plant, during which time 170 boats were built. And many of them—a testament to their sturdy construction—are still sailing today.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:24:20 PM by admin »
Captain Bri

Reaching

• Renegade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:16:13 PM »
 :) Greetings and thanks for the welcome. Yes I hope that some other Renegade owners come forward. She seems like a very well built and sturdy little yacht. I am very much looking forward to sailing her on our local lakes and reservoirs. You are definitely right about the winds here in the mountains though! They can come up in a blink and change directions just as fast. Well I can always use more practice reefing!
Glad to be aboard and really liking this Pearson community. Looks like lots of great folks on here with some very nice yachts. Love the classic plastic. Thank you for the snip from Practical Sailor. I also have the review from "This Old Boat". Good positive write-ups.