Author Topic: P28-2 What to pay/what to look for?  (Read 3483 times)

Jerry the Beaver

• P28
  • 1986 P28-2
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • Vessel Name: Ithaca
  • City: Bayview
  • State: Id
P28-2 What to pay/what to look for?
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
Hello Pearson community, I've come across a Pearson 28-2 that I'm hoping I can get some advice on.  I've not purchased it yet, but we are referring to it as "our boat".  It seems to have been very well taken care of and in overall great shape with new sails and a 2 year old bottom paint.  on initial inspection, I found some minor water damage inside from a leaking port. Some of the life-line stanchions are loose, and there's some spiderweb cracks around the genoa tracks.  There's a 3" hole on the corner of the transom where it was kissed by another boat (should be easy to fix).  At this stage, what should I look for?  Is a survey absolutely necessary?  There is one yacht surveyor in the regain who I have not been able to get a hold of. 

Also, what should I pay for a P28-2 in this condition? The high NADA value is $14K which supports what I am seeing online, but they are asking $20K. Friends at the marina tell me this is a fair price. Hmmm....

Thanks for your help.

As I

Stevebrosig

• P303
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P303
  • Vessel Name: Rose
  • City: Corpus Christi
  • State: Tx
Re: P28-2 What to pay/what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
go thru the boat with a fine tooth comb, if you feel confident, if you know what your looking for, if your confident in your findings make them an offer, its going to need a bottom job soon, that hole is going need to be inspected and fixed, when ya do the bottom job the zincs need to be replaced, what condition are the thru hulls? how old is the standing rigging? what condition is the running rigging? the sails? what condition are the instruments in? whats the overall condition of the boat?

all questions only you can answer, and if your not sure, find some one who does to help ya, maybe a local old Salt there at the marina

Steve

Jerry the Beaver

• P28
  • 1986 P28-2
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • Vessel Name: Ithaca
  • City: Bayview
  • State: Id
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 11:34:41 PM »
Couldn’t find a surveyor, so inspected it  as best I could. Everything was clean and in good shape as far as I could tell. Sea trial (lake trial) want very well today, so I pulled the trigger. I’m a very happy owner of an ‘86 28-2.  ;D

Stevebrosig

• P303
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P303
  • Vessel Name: Rose
  • City: Corpus Christi
  • State: Tx
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:06:37 AM »
Good Show mate, enjoy!!!!