Author Topic: Raymarine EV-100 Autopilot  (Read 10039 times)

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Raymarine EV-100 Autopilot
« on: February 17, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »
Has anyone installed the Raymarine EV-100 in a P323.
My question is,  where is a good place to mount the compass unit and the main controller unit.

Thanks

BobG

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Raymarine EV-100 Autopilot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
Don't know about the EV-100; but my Nexus/Garmin has the compass behind the aft storage box at the table, i.e screwed on the chart table "bulkhead". If you see what I mean.  The controller is in the starboard lazarette, on the bulkhead with all the other wiring (i's getting a bit short of real estate though!). General dimensions look the same.

There is a photo sequence of the hydraulic ram installation, and the positioning of the controller, on the 323 site: http://www.pearson323.com/projects/autopilot.html

p

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:22:27 AM »
Yes, I installed one 2 years ago. I mounted the entire system below the cockpit, aft of the fuel tank, on the wooden beam that supports the fuel tank. I mounted it there for a few reasons.

1- It's directly on the centerline of the boat.
2- It's more than 3 feet away from the mechanicals.
3-Nothing magnetic nearby
4-it's a very high and dry location.
5- Will not consume valuable storage real estate else where.
6- Electrical is right there
7- SeaTalk NG wires are freaking expensive, and the shorter you can make the network, the cheaper
8- You are directly below the pedestal.

Because I solo sail 99% of the time, it has proven to be invaluable. It is spot on and can handle weather. I have complete confidence in it's operation. Hope this helps.
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »
I think Valor has the right idea.  I too have the EV-100.  It has been great (nearly indispensable), since I also single-hand most of the time.  As for mounting, mine is on the bulkhead immediately forward of the chart table.  Biggest issue I have had is that this location influences what you can store in the starboard storage areas. Once I learned how sensitive the sensor core is to nearby ferrous material, it has worked wonderfully.  I have been very happy with how well it handles weather.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »
I mounted mine in the bilge just aft of the sump. It is on centerline and also in the center of the boat as specified by Raymarine. It is submersible so an occasional splash of bilge water or beer isn't a problem. I made an aluminum bracket that attaches to the hull liner joint fastener so again no new holes drilled in the boat. I mounted the controller aft is starboard lazzerette aft of hatch.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:47:04 PM by Alma »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
A PO mounted my fluxgate compass under the port settee, at the bulkhead between it and the hanging locker. Seems to work out ok there.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

T_schlueter

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sandalfoot
  • City: Port Clinton
  • State: OH
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 05:09:28 PM »
I'm considering buying the EV-100 wheel pilot with P70S control head.  My analog Autohelm 3000 is unreliable if not completely shot.  Installation sounds like a pain but overall the comments here are favorable.  I'm a bit concerned about connectivity with my Garmin Echomap chartplotter.  Anyone with experience hooking these together?
New owner of "project boat"

T_schlueter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 11:24:09 AM »
Will the EV-100 operate as a stand-alone unit?  That is, does it need to connect to a chartplotter?

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 12:15:54 PM »
Yes the EV-100 will operate on its own. It will only steer to a magnetic heading since there is no plotter.

You might want to look into Ebay and find an obsolete plotter to hold you over so you can update the firmware on the autopilot (recommended although mine worked out-of-the-box) and set an actual waypoint to steer to. A waypoint is far superior to a mag bearing when motoring (or sailing) with current setting you off course.

I got this old-school unit that is as early as I could find that has the Raymarine Sea-Talk (NG) next generation interface network cables. You do not want to deal with the adapters and wiring you would need with an ancient unit.

I intended for this to last a half season but the new AXIOM units are so costly I've held onto this.
I believe there is a way to control the EV-100 with an iPad... That would be great as it would be less expensive and mobile.

T_schlueter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 01:40:13 PM »
I don't suppose my Garmin Echomap would connect?  It has NMEA 0183 functionality.  It is currently connected to my VHF for distress messaging.  I'm still researching whether they would communicate.

If not, I would need a Raymarine MFD(such as A50D) to do these two functions relative to the EV-100:  1.update firmware and 2. Set waypoints.  Is that correct?

I see that used A50D's are still running about $300.  I paid $500 for my new Echomap!  I could borrow someone's Ipad(assuming it connects) to update firmware and live with magnetic heading steering.

I really don't want to use a Garmin retrofit autopilot due to much higher cost.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »
You can get by without updating firmware on a new wheel pilot especially if you are not interfacing with a plotter.
A Raymarine repair shop can update the firmware on the autopilot but you may not need to.

The current Echomaps have NMEA 2000- It isn't difficult to mate it to SeaTalk NG. You'll need a Raymarine adapter cable.

NMEA 0183 is well over 30 years old. NMEA 2000 is 20 years old and it is the basis for all the new networking the manufacturers are using today.  I believe the only difference between SeaTalk (NMEA 2000) and SeaTalk NG is nice small connector plugs that are easy to fish throughout the boat.

NMEA 2000 is much faster and allows more bandwidth for faster page refreshing than 0183.

Look into your Echomap and if it doesn't have NMEA 2000 let us know- Many have both 2000 and 0183.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:30:24 PM by Alma »

T_schlueter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 09:39:13 AM »
I have Echomap Plus 63cv which has one NMEA 0183 output port which I currently connect to my VHF.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 04:47:06 PM »
Yes- Not so elegant.

And the Garman pilot is pricy. But the Raymarine although it does some amazing piloting in crazy seas with the triple axis compass/accelerometer, does not have a confidence building build. The wheelpilot is flimsy at best and toylike in construction. Mine had worked 3 seasons now but I have heard of failures.

If you can swing it you are better off with a below decks unit and then price points with Garmin and Raymarine merge.

It is a tough decision if you aren't able to spend your way out only to see the Bluetooth future making all of them obsolete.

If you don't have a two day slog from winter storage to your summer berth maybe you try and see what's best next season.
With my old trip motoring through Delaware Bay hand steering was no fun. Add a foul current and golf looks interesting...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 04:56:48 PM by Alma »

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 09:07:16 PM »
Yes the EV-100 will operate on its own. It will only steer to a magnetic heading since there is no plotter

Actually you can also steer to a desired wind angle. When we sail down wind, sometimes we set the autopilot to maintain 150 160 degree angle to keep the assymetrical flying. You can also set the parameters to prevent a gybe. We have tested it and if t works really well. You change the input from the compass to the masthead windvane from the p70s.Also, If you set the input to the windvane you can tack from the controll head. Push the button. The boat tacks and all you need to do is focus on the sheets. Its a slick system.

Michael
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

T_schlueter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 06:54:59 AM »
I'll have to experiment with that!  I'm not hopeful as all my sailing is around the islands of western Lake Erie where winds shift constantly.  Also, my wind vane is caput so that'll mean further investment to replace that.  Uhg