Author Topic: Eliminating plastic bin under nav seat-  (Read 7422 times)

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Eliminating plastic bin under nav seat-
« on: November 18, 2018, 11:20:29 AM »
I have finally ridded ALMA of all of the silly poly bins Pearson used to save money on finish work.

Years ago I modified all the lockers with new 5mm five-ply birch Formica covered lids that enable access to the whole spaces the bins used to live in. The locker in the Vee Berth is at least three times the space of a poly bin. Likewise for the areas under the starboard settees.

The issue was making liners that kept small items from making their way to the bilge.

The space under the Nav Seat used to be stuffed with all the spares we need and of course some items we'll never use.
The wonderful rigging cutters a friend gave me are something I hope we never use!

Having all that equipment and spares stuffed into the locker prevented me from knowing what was in there.

I know some savvy cruisers make maps of whats in their lockers but I'm not that organized- yet.

This is a simple solution to utilizing ALL the bone-dry space under the seat-

I trash-picked the piece of Plexi years ago but I broke the tempered glass in our shore-side refrigerator soon after and had to cut a substantial piece for that repair.

Last week I finally got a scrap and welded it to the piece I had to have material big enough to span the entire space.

I now have three levels of storage- The very bottom is essential but rarely used spares and tools. The second level is general spares like impellers, seals and gaskets and spares for the head and other mechanicals.

The top level is everything else-

The only downside is trim- Installing a bladder tank in the port side settee I discovered a very nice mid-ships cavity forward of the tankage that I'll soon adapt for the heavy items- spare starter, ignition coil, fasteners, rigging and those trusty rigging cutters.

It would also be a perfect spot for a windlass battery...

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Eliminating plastic bin under nav seat-
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing - Brilliant.  Or perhaps a headsmack "duh" is called for. Especially as the liner under the helm seat is difficult to remove (I stuff rarely-used spares underneath it).

The one space which really bugs me is under the chart table.  As I mentioned in another thread, I went aboard a P323 where the top part of the chart table had been cut, and then hinged on the stbd side, allowing the table swing upwards, exposing all the storage below. He did lose the pencil holder - but gained a lot of space.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
Yes- that is a lot of space under the nav table. I saw that too. For me now, I'd be happy just to get a locker in the base to hold a fire extinguisher...

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
I cut a Wine/Booze locker in the base of the nav table long time ago. I love it.
Very easy to do, you need to fashion a floor board and I bought a louver swing door.
Opened lots of space. I am thinking of mounting my NEW Raymarine EV-100 compass in there as well.
I will post a pic soon.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:51:32 PM by Rusty Pelican »

Rusty Pelican

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
Here are the pics of the locker under the nav station

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
Nice job! Thanks for sharing. Now my new year project...

I was just measuring things up this afternoon, and noticed that there is another void in that area, The "pedestal" of the chart table, as you photographed - but just to the right, (on the starboard) side - space for another door/cubby?  Have you considered that? I did not have the time to investigate today.

Also - my best recent buy - https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-321650-1-Spring-8-Inch/dp/B001HBUOXO/, a hatch "spring" to keep the chart table lid up. Great idea.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:44:11 PM by selene »

Rusty Pelican

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 07:37:32 AM »
Thanks for the chart table lid retainer, I ordered the item.
The void to the starboard side is accessible via the opening hatch. There is a hull stringer (I think) that limits the usable space.
I stack booze horizontally in there for my friends that drink the hard stuff.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »
ALMA has a mini bar that sits on the NavStation seat backrest. I try to have something for everyone-

The wood came from another yacht. Looking back full pints would've been a better choice but half pints get the job done...

Mike

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sapphire
  • City: Tacoma
  • State: WA
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. ;)

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 08:31:19 PM »
I was down at ALMA's winter storage yesterday and snapped these photos of the liner I made to replace the plastic bin in the locker under the settee forward of the nav station. The base is plywood with laminate and it is supported by the 3 lightweight PVC pipes that keep some bottles of liquor. The base is hinged so it folds down to insert the assembly into the locker.