Author Topic: Furler Identification?  (Read 4242 times)

SV_TANGENT

Furler Identification?
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
Hi everyone. My name is Jeff.  I have recently acquired hull #309 and have started restorations.  Currently my main issue is the furling unit.  The only marks are the logos you see in the pictures....no one seems to be able to tell me the manufacturer of the unit.  I need some parts and am hoping to order them instead of going the custom route.  As I was told, the furling unit should be 1981 vintage. Possibly older possibly newer?  There was a wire spliced into rope, that wire is what was wrapped around the drum to furl the headsail.  No one around here has seen a wire??  neither have I.

Any ideas who the manufacture is based on the logo in the pictures? Even better, a model or serial # to go with it?

Thanks
Jeff

Chance

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: CHANCE
  • City: Milwaukee
  • State: WI
Re: Furler Identification?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
Jeff back in the  early 70s  I had a 1967 pearson vanguard  that had a cable  in furler and line splice .  I believe it was a schaffer marine product.   Have not seen one in years.                                                                                                        Bob K Chance 323 Hull 10

SV_TANGENT

Re: Furler Identification?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
A man on facebook identified the system as Stearns sailing systems. The company is long out of business but it looks like parts can still be purchased here http://rigrite.com/?fbclid=IwAR2QQJM6ITA5zFxEF8vhW-z1nJNHEKyNg2D2rNlJ4ZC92kgi06d2-A_Cj8M

Based on my findings of this type of furler, I will be ditching it and going back to a fore-stay for now and then later on a new furling unit.  Hope this info helps someone else down the line.