Author Topic: Measurements for used asymmetrical  (Read 5713 times)

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
Measurements for used asymmetrical
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
I know nothing about measurements for Spinnaker's. I'd like to try a used asymmetrical to see if it's something I can manage. I have blocks/sheets for a symmetrical thinking I could probably use those. Does anyone know what measurements would work? I don't have the bow sprit so my thought was to tack to the anchor roller. Any information/thoughts appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:17:28 AM by Eddy »

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Measurements for used asymmetrical
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 01:31:16 AM »
Disclaimer: I don't pretend to be an expert, I am still learning and optimizing things!

I have 2 spinnakers, lightweight (to 10 kn) and medium (10-15kn). Got the second after I blew out the lightweight one in about 14kn. Luckily I have a sewing machine....

Neither are a perfect fit; one was a Craig's List special, and the other was free (well, a case of wine).  The lightweight (.75oz? is 40-39-22 (luff leech foot). The medium weight (1.5oz?) is 36-35-22. I am not getting a custom one built until I understand things better.

There is no clear way to rig a spinnaker on the 323.  There is a thread somewhere about this (http://www.pearson323.com/forum/index.php/topic,503.msg2413.html#msg2413), and an article on this site (http://www.pearson323.com/projects/spinnaker_rig.pdf).  Currently I have the tack on the anchor roller. Still not happy about this...trying different positions, An eye bolt on the anchor platform may well be the way to go.

The clew I run down the starboard side - I got some hardware from Garhauer - a jam cleat that fits on the jib car track, and some cool little fairleads that are bolted to the stanchions.  In my case I also had to attach a block on the masthead beak for the halyard. Ed from Dolce Vita kindly posted some photos to help.

The sheets I run back to turning blocks I installed near the stern - so the port line comes to the back of the boat, through the block, to the stbd winch/crew member.  It sounds awkward but works well, as when the port line is the working line, you really want to be on the starboard side to fly the kite!  Initially I used turning blocks tied to the aft cleats (soft shackles actually) to try things out, before I drilled holes in the boat!

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 06:31:49 AM »
Thanks, are you using a sock to set and douse? My boat came with a symmetrical and has fittings on the aft quarter to attach turning blocks to lead the sheets to the winches .. it has primary winches but no secondaries. I was hoping to be able to tack it on the anchor roller did you have problems doing it that way? The weight of the fabric determines the wind strength? So a .75 ounce would be for light air up to 10kn and above there you'd want the heavier 1.5?

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »
I bought a Hood asymm about 10 years ago. It is super fun to fly.
It is BY FAR my favorite sail
My son and I set the sail just after clearing Woods Hole and carried it all the way to the Nantucket  jetty. The 4.5ft draft allowed us to sail over the shoals.
Here is my two cents opinion.

1 Get a 3/4 oz, they cost more than the 1 1/2 oz. but worth the extra $$. The 1 1/2 does not set in low wind conditions (which is standard in summer) and who needs to to fly a chute anyway in higher winds. The 3/4 oz lets you sail when everyone else is motoring. I have friends who have the 1 1/2 oz chutes and NEVER fly them.

2 Get a Tri Radial. The cost more but sets better than a full cut

3 Don't worry about the dimensions, the sail vendor will set you up on that.

4 Get a sock. Some sail vendors pitch that their sock is better than the other guys. In reality they all do the same thing. A cheap sock and a 3/4 oz Tri Radial is the way to go.
The sock helps a lot on the hoist, you set everything up and pull a string, POP!
The douse I use now a days,  is super simple and easy in any wind conditions.
Turn the engine on, motor downwind, pull a string, done!

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
As you will have gathered from my ramble, I also do not have secondaries.  Right now, I don't see a strong case for them.

Solo or shorthanded I use a sock. When racing, if possible I launch and retrieve from the v-berth - faster, better sail shape (no bunching at the top), and no windage before/after. Needs (trained) crew though! I also have a quick-release shackle on the tack so I can blow it when dousing without a sock.

Sadly I must disagree with Rusty about the sock. My new ATN sock is way better than my old one:
- Large smooth funnel-shape "mouth" makes dousing more consistent and easier
- Unlike my old sock, the control lines run in their own sleeves and so don't tangle 
- Smooth, almost slippery fabric, which is also breathable so the sail stays dry

Triradials are indeed better; my approach was to start cheap and basic, and refine equipment and layout as I gained experience. So I am a bit envious :-)

As for the weight...well, depends upon your local conditions; here in the SF Bay winters are light wind, summer strong; so for me, two spinnakers make sense. I use the .75oz mainly over winter, and the 1.5oz over summer - occasionally, as generally the winds are 15-20kn and I chicken out using the chute much over 15kn.

So far, the track on the anchor roller works okay - but like I said, it doen't "feel" right.  Rusty, where do you attach yours?

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 12:33:51 PM »
I'm looking at used sails and I see Minneys has a used tri radial listed in VGC the luff is 41'8" .. is that going to be too long? It doesn't list the leech foot is 24'10". It's inventory # S 15-013.
http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/spinnakers.html