Author Topic: Raw water? Fresh water? Huh?  (Read 3546 times)

selvyselvy@aol.com

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Friendship
  • City: Lake City
  • State: MN
Raw water? Fresh water? Huh?
« on: October 08, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »
My Atomic 4 takes in "lake" water (my word).

Is this considered Raw? or Fresh?  Is there also antifreeze lurking somewhere in there? The manual makes it sound as if there are two kinds of fluid in there. truly a rookie here!

popeye323

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Falmouth
  • State: MA
Re: Raw water? Fresh water? Huh?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 11:02:53 PM »
All the 323 engines take in lake or seawater to cool them. The difference between raw water cooling and fresh water cooling is the presents of a heat exchanger, A heat exchanger is a device where two liquids pass through separately but never mix. In a raw water cooled boat there is no heat exchanger and the external water source either lake or sea water is run though the engine block for cooling, In a fresh water cooled boat there is a heat exchanger  were the raw water source is used to cool the antifreeze that circulates inside the engine block.  Take a close look at you engine and see if you can find an antifreeze tank, very similar to your car. On my Volvo MD11c engine the  heat exchanger is a round tube about 16 inches long and 2 inches in diameter with 4 hose connections of raw water and antifreeze to enter and exit. It is located right above the exhaust manifold.   I hope that help

selvyselvy@aol.com

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Friendship
  • City: Lake City
  • State: MN
Re: Raw water? Fresh water? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
OK. I get it. I'll look tomorrow night. i really appreciate your expertise!! Thank you.