Author Topic: Pearson 40  (Read 4313 times)

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
Pearson 40
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:26:43 PM »
I was looking and thinking about a Pearson 40 with a flush deck.  What are your thoughts about this vessel.  At the price I have seen I might just be dreaming.  It look's fast just sitting at the dock.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Re: Pearson 40
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »
It looks like we have only had two Pearson 40 owners register for the site - it would be great to get feedback from owners. In the mean time I will give my 2 cents worth:

They only built 71 of them which might be an indicator it did not sell that well.  Based on Yacht-world listings they appear to hold their value well with asking prices around $50K. I think from its description in Pearson Yachts literature the boat is plenty responsive as it was Bill Shaw's intention for a dual-purpose responsive boat.

A couple of Shaw's comments:  "Convert from full cruise to race by simply changing the crew"; "Visibility from the cockpit is superb, and in my opinion, the flush deck adds an extra measure of safety".

And don't just take Shaw's word for it, take a look at the review by John Kretschmer: "The boat is quick and fairly close winded although the centerboard needs to be deployed to track well." Sailing Magazine Review

See the brochure and specs at Pearson 40 Home

Men and Ships; Rot in Port

fastfwrd

• P40
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P40
  • Vessel Name: Jade Dragon
  • City: Old Saybrook
  • State: CT
Re: Pearson 40
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
Agreed, it would be nice to build this group.  I'm in the North East, and my boat is a bit of a project.  High hopes to get it all done by July 2021!